Nuestra Señora de los Remedios de Chiriquí

Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, Marian holy cards collection, ML.031 Box 27, circa 1675-2018. Marian Library, University of Dayton Libraries, Dayton, Ohio.




In 1589, a Spanish captain by the name of Martín Gutierrez founded a small town and called it Nuestra Señora de los Remedios in the province of Chiriquí, Panama.  A little church with the same name was built, and a statuette of pure gold of Our Lady of the Remedies, a Marian devotion that dates back to the XII century, was placed within it.  However, Chiriquí was given to pirate attacks, and in order to keep the statuette from being stolen, the townspeople would throw it into the well in the churchyard or bury it  in the ground.


After one of these raids, the location of the statuette was forgotten.  Years passed and a sculptor who was passing by was told the tale of the lost image.  He offered to create a new one for the town and three beautiful sisters were chosen as models.  The story takes a dark turn, because every time the sculptor tried to capture their features for the image, they would fall ill and he had to start again.  Finally and miraculously, the sculptor was finally able to create a statuette that is said to resemble the original instead.


Researched by Lillian L. Weber

Popular Devotions

Feast day is celebrated January 6th.


Hail Mary

Dios te salve, María. Llena eres de gracia: El Señor es contigo. 

Bendita tú eres entre todas las mujeres. 

Y bendito es el fruto de tu vientre: Jesús. 

Santa María, Madre de Dios, ruega por nosotros pecadores, 

ahora y en la hora de nuestra muerte.



All content is used with permission 

of the Marian Library at the 

University of Dayton.