Welcome to the Wellington College Career and Transition page. Our team are only to happy to help you navigate your Career development pathway. Come into the Career Centre any time and one of our staff can guide you in the right direction. You can pick up information as you pass by the career corridor also. Check out the Career calendar for opportunities for you to get involved in.
To discuss your interests, subject choices, talents and career aspirations, you need to make an appointment with Mrs Greenstreet. Click on the book now logo to the left. The Career centre is located next to the Deans' Office Level 1 of the Tower block. Please ensure that you are not missing any exams, assessments or important lessons when you make an appointment time. Parents are welcome to attend . Priority goes to Year 13's. Year 9-12 students must come outside class times, interval and lunchtimes unless by special arrangement. Please contact email@example.com or 8022 536 if you have other queries.
Career central is our new online Career Management system.
Our Career and Transition team
Transition Manager/ Gateway Co-ordinator Mrs D Hall
Transition & STAR Co-ordinator Mrs F Forrest
Transition and STAR Co-ordinator Mrs A Sims
BreWCafe Manager Mr A Maglaque
Teacher in Charge Construction /Pathways Mr G Cowie
Teacher in Charge of Retail/Hospitality Mrs T Greenstreet
HOD Tourism Mr M Ellett
TIC Year 12 Tourism Mr P Smith
HOD Careers & Transition /TIC Gateway Mrs T Greenstreet
Mrs Tia Greenstreet HOD Careers
Mr Mike Ellett HOD Tourism
Mr Pat Smith Tourism
Mr Graeme Cowie TIC Construction
Mrs Fran Forrest STAR/Transition
Mrs Dawn Hall Gateway
Mrs Anna Sims Transition/STAR
Mr Tony Maglaque BrewCafe
Career Development at Wellington College
This year the emphasis will be on developing the 3 career management competencies:
Competencies that enable young people to understand themselves and the influences on them.
Strengths and weakness
Competencies that enable young people to investigate opportunities in learning and work, and relate them to themselves.
Work experience / shadowing
Tertiary open days
Competencies that enable young people to make and adjust their plans, to manage change and transition, and to take appropriate action.
Scholarship and fees talks
- One on one interviews for all Year 13's as a priority
- One on one interviews for all other students by appointment
- Scholarships – lunchtime workshops, and assistance with application forms and references
- Pathways planning – via PCT, workshops and one on one
- Assistance with option choices for the following year
- Māori and Pacific Island Career information
- Gateway – a work-based learning programme for Year 12/13 students
- Opportunities for students to attend “Student for a Day” and “Taster days” at tertiary institutes/organisations
- Weekly guest speakers covering pathway opportunities and tertiary requirements
- Help with writing C.V.s and seeking part time work opportunities
- Visits from liaison staff of tertiary institutes to help students with applications and course planning
- Full and part-time job vacancies advertised in the department and online
- Assistance with interview skills
- Information on Gap year and exchange opportunities
- Trade academy opportunities via Weltec and Whitireia in Construction, Automotive, Social and Community and Services with pastoral support
- Pathways support particularly in Tourism, Hospitality and Construction
- Accommodation information
- Work readiness and employment skills
- Barista through the on-site Brew Cafe