Roger Alsop is a sound designer, composer, musician and media artist. His activities range through working with VicHealth, Regional Arts Victoria, Arts Access, Multicultural Arts Victoria, La Mama, and the Royal Botanic Gardens. His creative and collaborative works are in Electro-Acoustic composition, musical and audiovisual improvisations, live mixing, and sound and media design for performance. He also teaches Sound Design and Interactive Art (Victorian College of the Arts: UoM) and Electronic Music and Mixed Media at Box Hill Institute, and has recently taught Performative Architecture (Melbourne School of Design; UoM). His interests are in developing interactive approaches for creative works that enhance the fundamentally hybrid nature of modern creativity.
He has recently had works and writing presented in the International Computer Music Conferences, Korean Electro-Acoustic Music Society Annual Conference, Australasian Computer Music Conferences, International Society of Electronics Arts, CSIRO, the Prague Quadrennial 2015, and Melbourne Festival 2016.
Name: Peter Roger Alsop
Mobile: +61 414 246 943
Email: email@example.com (private email)
My educational and professional activities are based on integrating the conceptual and technological processes of a wide variety of areas including the arts, sciences, community, and education. This has included developing collaborative linkages locally, nationally, with indigenous Australians, and local and international educational and creative institutes and practitioners.
While at the Victorian College of the Arts my teaching has involved the creation and management of online, blended, and face to face courses at undergraduate, post graduate and research higher degree levels. The areas taught include design, music, performing arts/production, and research higher degree studies, and methods used range through online, lecture based, seminar based, and fully practice based learning.
My research and practice based creative work focuses on performing and interactive arts, music, and the performing arts, and is funded through competitive national and internal University of Melbourne grants, for which I have had role as the creative leader, collaborator, and financial manager.
Graduate Certificate of University Teaching (University of Melbourne)
PhD, School of Communication and Media (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)
Master of Arts, Composition (La Trobe University)
Graduate Diploma of Music Technology (La Trobe University)
Bachelor of Arts, Music and Drama (La Trobe University)
1999 – current: Lecturer in Sound, Research and Higher Degree Coordinator; Faculty of Victorian College of the Arts and Music (VCAM), (0.6 from 2006, full time 1999-2005)
Development, review and delivery of undergraduate, postgraduate, and research courses; committee memberships (research, ethics, design, performance/project development, and teaching and learning committees); academic research/professional practice; and maintaining knowledge of, and research in, current industry practices and processes, developing industry partnerships.
Creation and delivery of the Interactive Art Media breadth/elective courses.
Collaborative creation of Master of Fine Arts and PhD courses in the School of Production.
Creation and delivery of the Master of Sound Design by Research (now incorporated into the VCA Master of Fine Arts).
Creation and delivery of the on-line course Sound Design Skills.
Creation and delivery of the interactive composition lectures.
Supervision and assessment of VCA Music Honours students.
Past member of the VCA Research and Research Training Committee 2005 to 2016
Inaugural Chair of the VCA Human Research Ethics Committee from 2005 to 2009.
Developing under-graduate courses in Production with colleagues.
Developing the Post–Graduate Diploma in Production courses with colleagues.
Forming and maintaining university and industry connections across diverse areas of the arts, including education, recording, performance, and community; and areas of interactive arts and the art/science nexus.
Developing and maintaining connections between the various schools at the VCA and the broader UoM.
2008 – current: Box Hill Institute (BHI): casual lecturer in music technology
Key responsibilities: development, review and delivery of the Mixed Media Design, Electronic Sound Creation, Music Production, Production Styles and Advanced Tracking classes in the Master of Music, Music Degree and Advanced Diploma of Music Industry courses for first, second, and third year students.
Key achievements: collaboratively developing popular complementary courses in music recording and production, and membership of the Box Hill Institute Music Course Advisory Committee and Higher Education Board of Studies.
2011 – Performative Architecture Studio/Creative Computing Workshop; Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning, UoM (casual lecturer)
Key Responsibilities: Development and delivery of subjects in conceptual and technical skills in interactive audio and video installation.
2006 – 2007: Northern Metropolitan Institute of Technology (NMIT): casual lecturer in Theatre Production and Computer Music
Key responsibilities: delivery of courses developed by the NMIT staff and course advisory committee, co-ordinating delivery of the courses with other staff members.
2000:Monash University School of Music: Casual Lecturer in Music Production
Key responsibilities: delivery of lectures in Music Production Processes to Composition students.
1995 – 1999:La Trobe University Music Department: Tutor in Interactive Computer Music and Tutor in Harmony
Key responsibilities: tutoring in tonal harmony and in interactive computer music processes for composition, music history and music technology students to complement lectures in those subjects.
Completed PhD students
· Vincent Giles, Microsound, Spectra, and Objectivity: tracing memetics in organised sound; principal supervisor 2016
· Travis Cox, Code, display, user: semiotic dialogues in interactive web page artworks; principal supervisor, 2016
· Camille Robinson, LISTENTING ART: making sonic artworks that form a critique of listening; principal supervisor (unanimously nominated for the Chancellors Prize), 2016
· Natalie Grant, Momentum: Experiential Development in Music Composition; co supervisor, 2015
Completed Master of Sound Design by Research
· Ben Wiesner: Integrating Space, Composition and Performance 2015
· Mark Pedersen: Sound Labyrinth: Exploring the Embodied Sublime Through an Immersive Audio/Visual Installation. 2014
· Peter Farnan: Distilling an Essence: the Structuring of the Recorded Pop/Rock Song Form. 2014
· Tisara Munasinghe: Sounds from the past: an audio artwork developed from memories of Sri Lankan emigrants in contemporary Melbourne. 2013
· Luke Harralampou: And Their Lungs Reflect What the Sun Means to Them. 2012
· Darren Steffen: Simple subtle sustained waveforms and the notion of comfort in a new approach to creating an immersive, interactive sound installation. 2012
· Elisabeth Viggers: Connections: nothing exists in isolation. 2011
· Robert Stewart: SoundNode: a prototype user interface for sound design in performance environments. 2010.
Completed Master of Fine Arts
· Kahra Scott-James: Narrative aesthetics – sound design in story development: a case for pre-auralvis. 2014
· Paul Fletcher: An abstract narrative form of film: can an abstract form of film successfully include elements of the concrete representation based narrative film form? 2009
Current PhD students
Jessica Williams, co supervisor
Current Master of Fine Arts students
· Susannah WIlliams
· Brett Canning
· David Streefkerk
· Peter Satchell
· Chris Dickie
· Simon Bowland
· Richard Gyngler
· Matt Voight
· Thomas Rando
· Myfanwy Alderton, co supervisor
· Cobie Orger, co supervisor
RHD panel chair
· Jung Moon (PhD – completed)
· Olena Federova (PhD – completed)
· Lynn Thompson (PhD - completed)
· Andrea Meadows (PhD)
· Katherine Edwards (MFA - completed)
· Chung Liang Liu (MFA – completed)
RHD panel member
· Belinda Woods (PhD - completed)
CURRENT and DEVELOPING ACTIVITIES and COLLABORATIONS
Development of edited book on teaching processes in sonic arts and design.
Developing low cost interactive environments in aged care
ACCEPTED RESEARCH PAPERS (fully peer reviewed or edited)
· Australia on display: Tracing an Australian identity through the evolving costume design for The Australian Ballet’s production The Display E Collett, R Alsop - Studies in Costume & Performance 2 (1), 61-79
· SOUND, SHADOW AND LIGHT: generating the experience of a natural environment – Generative Art Conference Florence 2016.
· usedlost: Creating a Multi-spatial Audiowork from Virtual Locations - NIME, Griffiths University 2016
· Computing gives an artist new tools to be creative – the Conversation 2016
· Interpreting Data: Re-contextualizing Data to Develop Approaches to Musical Composition - Vincent Giles & Roger Alsop – Korean Electro-Acoustic Music Society's 2015 Annual Conference (KEAMSAC2015)
· In and Out, Over and Under: AN INTERACTIVE AUDIOVISUAL INSTALLATION RESPONDING TO PERCY GRAINGER’S FREE MUSIC AND THE GRAINGER MUSEUM – International Computer Music Conference, Texas 2015
· Sublime: An Open Approach to Collaborative Performance – Travis Cox & Roger Alsop - ACMC, Victorian College of the Arts, 2014
· Gesture, sound and place. – ISEA2013 proceedings – Roger Alsop & Mark Pedersen (MSD student), 2013
· SPEECH: creating a virtual audio-visual artwork – International Computer Music Conference, Perth 2013
· FLUIDITY – WE ARE WATER: THE DEVELOPMENT OF AN IMPROVISED AUDIOVISUAL PERFORMANCE – Water Issues Relating to Environmental Landscape Sustainability’ World Water Day, IRESA, Université de Sousse, Tunisie, 2013
· TWITCH: translating microscopic fast motion to a musical composition – Roger Alsop & Peter Myers, (published through ANAT/CSIRO) 2014
· An Approach to Feature Extraction of Human Movement Qualities and Its Application to Sound Synthesis. – Mark Pedersen & Roger Alsop – ACMC, Queensland University, 2012
· As parts of a recomposition of social meaning that transcends previous modes of classification – Autopsya, 2012
· ActionA/V: An Improvisatory Process for Translating Movement to an Audiovisual Outcome – ACMC, Australian National University Canberra, 2010
· The Trouble with CARE: Creative Arts and Research Ethics – Australian National University (Publisher), B. Bolt, R. Vincs, R. Alsop, M. Sierra, & G. Kett 2010
· Transforming Art: Processes for Developing Audio-Visual Works – Sounding Out 5 conference, Bournemouth University, 2010
· Crossing Media in Practice: Improvisation Across Art Forms – Third International Congress of Synesthesia, Science and Art 09, International Foundation Arteciudad / artecittà, Granada, 2009
· Realtime Integration of Sound, Image and Text in Creating Performance, a three day artist in residency was associated with this paper – Theatre Noise Conference, Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London, 2009
· Diversionary Space Project at Royal Melbourne Hospital Short Term Dementia Ward – Darren Steffen & Roger Alsop; UNESCO Observatory 2009 e-journal
· Sound Design Skills: exploring a blended learning environment for developing practical and conceptual skills – Roger Alsop & Marsha Berry; Media Arts Scoping Symposium (MASS) Proceedings, VCAM, Melbourne, 2009
· Integrating Text Sound and Vision in an Interactive Audio Visual Work – International Conference on Music Communication Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2007
· The biggest shed in the world: an approach to computer enhanced creativity – ACMC, Australian National University, Canberra, 2007
· Weaving Relationships Between Sound and Image in Improvised Performance – Roger Alsop & Paul Fletcher (Master of Animation student); ACMC, Adelaide University, Adelaide, 2006
· Compositional Processes in Developing Poly-Media Performance Works – ACMC Edith Cowan University, Perth, 2003
· The Ineluctable Modality of the Audible: Exploring the sound worlds of James Joyce’s Ulysses – World Forum of Acoustic Ecology Symposium, VCA, Melbourne, 2003
· Teaching Electro-Acoustic (EA) Composition to the Uninitiated - ACMC Queensland University of Technology, Queensland, 2000
· Exploring the Self Through Algorithmic Composition – Leonardo Music Journal, Vol 9: 1999; MIT Press
· Personal Expression Through Algorithmic Composition – ACMC, ANU, Canberra, 1998, also published in the e-journal Mikropolyphonie
· An Approach to Making Music From Speech – Winner of the New Music Australia Prize for Music and Writing: 1993. This paper was expanded and presented at Synasthetica '94, ANU, as Making Music From Speech
SELECTED RECENT CREATIVE WORKS 2017 to 2005
Sound Design and composition for “Four Men” and “Dog Play: La Mama
Music for Imagined Dances, Sounding Finnegan’s Wake 1, & Acoustic Laptop Orchestra 4 – World Stage Design 2017, Taiwan
Migration, for Acoustic AV Laptop – seensound
In&Out 123 interactive improvised performance – Brunswick Green & Cross Street.
DIP – Live Performance – Generative Art Conference 2016, Florence
FLOW2000 – Live Performance with Brigid Burke – GA 2016, Florence
OUR PLACE OUR HOME – Melbourne Festival Closing Performance
Yarra Bridge – Live performance – seensound performance
HOME – Latrobe Regional Gallery Morwell - interactive AV (90 day solo exhibition)
Flow2000 – KEAMSAC: Seoul – for alto flute
Flow2000 – ACMC: Sydney – for clarinet
usedlost – Sound Kitchen: Prague Quadrennial 2015 – for sound dispersion
Vespers’ Bells – Tilde New Music Festival Melbourne – Electronic music
Let Me Count the Ways – Collaborative web based work
Who’s That Girl – short film: music, atmos, dialog and foley.
GreenPress – youtube advertising/information for the GreenPress cafe
Bubble Muffin – pilot and pitch for ABC children’s show
Infundibular – Dancehouse; 2014 Fringe Festival (Artistic Director) - for Dance and interactive AV
In and Out, Over and Under – NiteArt at the Granger Museum, - interactive AV installation
Motion 5 – Australasian Computer Music Conference, Melbourne 2014 – for clarinet and film
Substation workshop (Exploring improvisations in Music Dance and technologies)
Tilde New Music Festival (Live Guitar Improvisation and Recorded performance of piano works Ambit Improvisations 1)
SPEECH – International Computer Music Conference, Perth 2013
ActionA/V & SoundLabyrinth – interactive audio workshop presented at ISEA2013 Sydney with Mark Pedersen
Motion 4 – Audio Visual improvisation with Brigid Burke (clarinet); seensound, Melbourne
Fluidity: We Are Water – Improvised audio visual work; Water Issues Relating to Environmental Landscape Sustainability’ World Water Day
ORB – Audio Visual work; seensound, Melbourne
A GENTLE COLLAPSING – Audio Visual work; seensound, Melbourne
Takutsubo – Australasian Computer Music Conference, Queensland University
Uploading the Goddess – Sound Design & Composition. Husk Theatre
Das Shoku Shake – 45downstairs – Melbourne Fringe Festival
Waiting for Godot – La Mama (remount)
Luminescence – Music for Imagined Dances; Dance Massive, Dancehouse
Little Con – improvised performance; Cecil Street Studio
Empty – improvised performance with performer Annmaree Ellis; Studio 202
My Wonderful Everyday – web based audio work funded through VicHealth, Technology, Arts and Social Connection Scheme (TASC) grants program.
Cook: an exploration – video system design and programming; La Mama
Waiting for Godot – sound design; La Mama Theatre
Angels – visual work; White Street Project
I know what you did – interactive video work; White Street Project
Alphington Wetlands Festival – audio system design and mixer (also 2005, 2006, & 2008)
Undue Noise 3 – interactive video and sound improvisation with Paul Fletcher; Castlemaine
the GO SHOW – sound design, multi location performance event; Melbourne International Arts Festival; (MIAF)
Behind the Scenery – web based audio work created as Artist in Residence; Royal Botanic Gardens Cranbourne
Yelling at Stars – mentor/project development/interactive programming; Next Wave Festival
Pole – audiovisual work; Geek Chic at Loop, Melbourne
Artist in Residence, Federation Square – interactive AV works
White Spider – musical composition; Melbourne International Arts FEstival
5 – multimedia work – (ACMC) ANU; Canberra
Yelling at Stars – development phase mentor
Yellow Wallpaper – sound design; Malthouse Theatre
Grand Union Orchestra – sound design and mix; Festival Melbourne2006 and Stonnington Jazz Festival
phoFAUX gallery opening – composition/sound design; Footscray
Dreamlake – interactive music and video performance; with Paul Fletcher, Bendigo
Once Upon A Time – audio composition; Empirical Soundings, Bendigo
Wetlands Mix – Alphington Wetlands Festival and City of Yarra Commonwealth Games opening
Ambit – (ACMC) Adelaide University, Adelaide
Local Migration – video/installation work; with Hoang Tran Nguyen, Big West Festival
Grand Union Orchestra – sound design and mix; Malvern Town Hall Melbourne International Jazz Festival
Sixteen Words for Water – sound design/composition; Courthouse Theatre
Yellow Wallpaper – sound design; The Storeroom Theatre
Wetlands Mix – audio composition; Alphington Wetlands Festival
Amounts are rounded to the lower $1000. In each of these grants I had the equivalent role of chief investigator, responsible for developing conceptual frameworks and grant submission, gathering and guiding teams, and all financial aspects (grant budget, collaborator payment, and acquittal).
Teaching Assistantship (for PhD candidates) Internal VCA grant for PhD student $15000
Faculty Small Grants Scheme (for research travel), Internal VCA grant $3000
Near Miss Funding Grant, Internal VCA grant $3000
Faculty Small Grants Scheme (for research travel), Internal VCA grant $5000
Internal VCA funding for the 2014 Australasian Computer Music Conference, provision of venues and speaker fees. $8000
Faculty Small Grants Scheme (for research travel), Internal VCA grant $3000
Let Me Count The Ways – Regional Arts Victoria/VCAMCM $72000
My Wonderful Everyday – Vic Health $22000
Behind the Scenery – Royal Botanic Gardens/Australia Council $8000
Performer Willoh S. Weiland through the SPARK program, provided by Youth Arts Queensland; this project resulted in the Yelling at Stars performance, performed on the closing night of the 2008 Melbourne Fringe Festival at the Myer Music Bowl and 2015 MONAFOMA
Victoria University postgraduate performance student Annmaree Ellis in developing interactive improvised performance skills. 2010
Victoria University postgraduate dance student Anna McLean in designing interactive performance systems. 2008
OTHER ACADEMIC ACTIVITY
Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency External Expert.
Box Hill Institute Higher Education Board of Studies
Box Hill Institute Music Degree Course Advisory Committee
Box Hill Institute Chair, Music Industry Degree Course Advisory Committee
Editor – Journal of Aesthetics and Fine Arts
Reviewer - International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Health & Well-being 2017
Reviewer – New Interfaces in Musical Expression 2016 to 2017
Reviewer – Digital Creativity Journal
Reviewer – Digital Humanities Conferences 2011 to 2016
Reviewer – Australasian Computer Music Conferences 2007 -11, & 2014-17
Reviewer – Media Art Scoping Study proceedings 2009
Editorial Panel – Second Nature: International journal of Creative Media
Co Organizer and referee for 2014 Australasian Computer Music Conference (Melbourne)
Co Organizer and referee for 2003 World Forum of Acoustic Ecology Symposium (Melbourne)
Co Organizer and referee for 2002 Australasian Computer Music Conference (Melbourne)
VCA School of Production Indigenous Liaison Officer 2002 to 2004
Research assistant to Professor Richard Vella, La Trobe University Music Department, 1998 - 1999
International Organisation of Scenographers, Theatre Architects, and Technicians (OISTAT) Sound Working Group
Electronic Music Foundation (EMF)
Multicultural Arts Victoria
Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT)
Australasian Computer Music Association (ACMA)
International Computer Music Association (ICMA)
Greenroom Contemporary and Experimental Performance Committee
Human Computer Sciences Network (HCSNet)
PUBLISHED SOUND ART/COMPOSITIONS
"ISM" and "CHASM"; The Frog Peak Music Collaborations Project, (compact disc)
"Pillage", One for the Love of God (compact disc)
Ambit Improvisations 1 (Bandcamp)