Special Education

Assistant Curriculum LeaderMichelle Kaske
Assistant Curriculum Leader:  Michael Barltrop

416-393-0500 Ext. 20138

We are committed to ensuring that all students are empowered to reach their full potential in a supportive and inclusive environment.

Resource (Room 145)

Students can receive Special Education resource support from a teacher in room 145 during instructional hours. Room 145 is also a place where students can receive accommodations for alternative space, extra time, computer options, and assistive technology.

Special Education Courses

WTCS Special Education Courses
Parent Council_Updated_Spec. Ed. - Tiered Supports

Secondary Resource Program (RSE)

RSE is a non-credit-bearing period provided for Special Education students to receive support particular to a student’s needs. The Special Education teacher works in collaboration with the student’s subject teachers to support the student.

Intensive Support Programs (ISPs)

Western Technical Commercial School has the following Intensive Support Programs:

Access to this level of support is by the decision of an Identification Placement and Review Committee (IPRC) or by the recommendation of a Special Education Program Recommendation Committee (SEPRC) in consultation with the student’s parents/guardians/caregivers. A committee will first consider if a student’s needs can be met in the regular class with appropriate support. ISP’s provide special education support for at least 50 percent of the school day. They are staffed with a Special Education teacher and may also have support staff.

SEA Computers

Students may sign their SEA computer in/out from room 209 before school, at lunch, and after school.

Although SEA equipment is meant to be used at school, it can go home for short time periods if necessary (e.g. for project completion or training). Parents must accept responsibility for the equipment by completing a form (available in room 210) and show proof of home insurance that would cover the equipment while at home. SEA equipment should not be taken home over the summer.

Important Links

Transitional Resource Guide for Students with Disabilities: A resource guide for students who need access to disability/accessibility support services in college or university.

Special Education FAQs