Project: Waste & Resource Management
Project: Waste Management Advice for Issyk-Kul Sustainable Development Project
Client: Asian Development Bank / NKUK
The Issyk-Kul Sustainable Development Project aims to tackle environmental and institutional problems regarding the development of Issyk–Kul province in Kyrgyzstan which is increasingly visited by tourists, but lacks the necessary infrastructure. It also aims to create a sound business environment to attract the private sector, without impacting negatively on the environment.
The Solid Waste Management elements of the project undertaken by Rachel, from GreenBlue Consulting included:
- Evaluation of existing public waste management service delivery through engagement with 3 city local authorities
- Organization and implementation of waste composition analyses
- Review of existing environmental legislation and policy
- Modelling to predict landfill life expectancy and predicted waste arising
- Development of a budget for the recommendations
- Outline of improvements to landfills and waste collection services in each city
- Assessment of waste treatment options including recycling and composting
This project was the first part in the development of Issyk-Kul; the project recommendations are currently being implemented.
Photo: Landfill, Karakol