Brooke Hector Smallwood Memorial

This memorial was erected in Cheswardine Church in 1939, about 49 years after the death of Brooke Hector Smallwood in 1890.

This memorial was erected in 1939 on the west wall of the north aisle of St Swithun's Church in Cheswardine. A copy of the faculty, the name given to the authority given by the Bishop of Lichfield, for the erection of the monument is shown below.

The cost of the memorial was covered by the will of Brooke Robinson, a solicitor from Dudley, in the Black Country, who had been named in Brooke Hector Smallwood's will as a a trustee. After the death  of Brooke Robinson in 1911, his widow, Mabel Fanny Mary Robinson (nee Askew) remarried, to  a William Nevett in the autumn of 1915. About two years before her death in the late summer 0f 1942, she applied with William George Darby, (both of whom were trustees of Brooke Robinson) for the faculty for the erection of the memorial. The total cost of the memorial was £39 : 3s : 6d (£39.18) which would equate to about £1750 in modern terms.


Brooke Hector Smallwood was an attorney or lawyer in Newport, Shropshire, and used to reside at what is now known as Smallwood Lodge, Upper Bar, Newport