Enrollment Information


You can apply for a place at Queen Charlotte College through an educational agent or apply yourself. Queen Charlotte College requires students to be reasonably proficient in English before they start classes.

When considering an enrolment it is very important that families read the following information carefully in the Enrolment Package:

  • Expected Behaviour at Queen Charlotte College

  • General Homestay Rules

  • The Queen Charlotte College Code

  • Dress Code

Documents for Pre-Enrolment

Before we can consider your child’s application to become a student at Queen Charlotte College, we require the following information:

a) A photocopy of the title page of their passport

b) A photocopy of their student permit (if issued)

c) Copies of recent overseas school reports, translated into English. A copy of their latest NZ school reqport and/or language school report (if applicable)

d) A recommendation letter from the Principal of their current school (if applicable)

e) Any other supporting material you may have, for example: cultural and/or sporting achievements and interests

f) Full names and current addresses of parents for students under the age of 18, and of emergency contact persons (these details must be kept up to date at all times. Please notify the International Co-ordinator of any changes).

g) Details of the student’s current health and travel insurance

To study in New Zealand, International Students need:

Visas and Student Permit:

Every International Student who is not a New Zealand Citizen or New Zealand Resident must have a valid student visa before coming to New Zealand, and meet all requirements of Immigration NZ to study in New Zealand.

As soon as a student has been offered a place at Queen Charlotte College, they should apply to the New Zealand Embassy or diplomatic representative in her own country.

Requirements for a student visa normally include:

  • student’s passport

  • a completed and signed “Application for Student Visa” form, with a passport-size photograph

  • a written offer of a place

  • a receipt for payment of course fees

  • a guarantee of accommodation

  • evidence that funds are availalbe to support their stay in New Zealand

A student permit is usually valid for a year’s course of study and parents/guardians must remember to apply for a new permit each year before the old one expires. Each new course of study requires a new student permit.

Note: All non-New Zealand residents who need a student visa will be required by the NZ Immigration authorities to pay each year’s school fees in advance.

Both parents and prospective students must be clear as to Queen Charlotte College’s expectations before signing the enrolment forms.

You may fax to us your enrolment form or send it through the mail. We will ask you to supply documentation to us and on receipt of this we will send you a letter informing you if there is a place available for you. You are then required to inform the school whether you wish to accept the place, and pay your school fees, either by Registered Post or Courier. Telegraphic transfers are accepted but will often take longer to receive due to delays in the banking system. On receipt of the telegraphic transfer into the school account (this may take up to two weeks), we will send you a receipt for your fees. Your enrolment is now confirmed. You or your consultant will then be required to apply for your Student Visa for which you need the receipt and “Offer of Place” form.

If you are applying without a consultant you can then apply at the Embassy in your country and get a visa. When fees are paid, and a homestay form filled out and returned we will then find a suitable homestay for you.

When your travel arrangements are finalized please forward them to us so we can organize the host family to meet you on your arrival. If you are arriving for the first time, someone will meet you at either the ferry terminal or Picton or Blenheim airport. If you are flying into Christchurch or Wellington we can help organize your transport to Picton. If possible please give us as much notice as you can of your travel plans.


Where a student has been accepted to study at Queen Charlotte College, and upon receipt of fees, an Offer of Place Form will be sent to enable a Student Visa to be obtained. Full details of visa and permit requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service.


International Students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand and for travel to and from New Zeland. Students must provide evidence of their medical and travel insurance.

The type of ocver the student has needs to be approved by the school and details of the policy will be recorded on entry and kept by the school.

Most students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand unless they are:

  • A resident or citizen of Australia; or

  • A national of the United Kingdom in New Zealand; or

  • The holder of a temporary permit that is valid for two years or more.

If you do not belong to one of these special categories and you receive medical treatment during your visit, you will be liable for the full costs of that treatment.

We strongly recommend that your insurance also covers your travel to and from New Zealand.

Information on a suitable insurance scheme is available from the following companies:

Uni-Care Educational Travel Insurance, PO Box 32-167, Devonport, Auckland Telephone: 09446 1166; Fax: 09 445 8832; E-mail: insurance@uni-care.org

Southern Cross Healthcare NZ Call: 0800 800 571 or telephone 64-9-379 4970 if you are not in NZ; E-mail: student@sxhealth.co.nz

Eligibility for Health Services: Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health website.

Accident Insurance: The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.


All students attending Queen Charlotte College must arrange insurance with our recommended insurer, Unicare. This policy also provides extensive travel and medical cover. Students who have a different insurance scheme must have a fee protection cover.


The Board of Trustees undertakes to hold enough funds in reserve, and these will be available to refund the unspent portion of fees if the course is cancelled.

CODE of practice

Queen Charlotte College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the website at the New Zealand Ministry of Education.


International Students are under the care of the International Student Co-ordinator. All enrolments, matters of pastoral care and enquiries should be directed to the International Student Co-ordinator.


Queen Charlotte College accepts students at Year 7 to 13 level. The School recruits students who have some English language skills. ESOL will provide intensive language programs if required.

  • Students need to have a genuine desire to learn and a good record of attendance at their previous school.

  • Students must be willing to abide by the schools rules as they apply to international students.

  • School reports and a testimonial must accompany an application to study..

The school reserves the right to place the student in appropriate courses based on the student’s competency in English.


All students’ English, is assessed on arrival and students are placed in a level to suit their English ability.


All students are expected to behave in a responsible and courteous manner at school. Students are expected to follow all school regulations as well as the rules in the tuition contract and the homestay contract which are particular to International Students.


Frequent or unexplained non-attendances must be reported to the New Zealand Immigration Services and may result in cancellation of the student visa. If you are absent from school you must bring a note from your caregiver. However, if you are absent for more than 3 days, you may be required to bring a note from your doctor.


When an International Student fails to meet these expectations, e.g., failure to attend school regularly or unacceptable behaviour, a number of steps will be taken to help correct the problems. This will involve our International Student Co-ordinator talking to the student, college and homestay parents. Parents will be kept fully informed of any situations causing concern and should feel free to contact the college staff at any time.

If, after a series of warnings, a student’s behaviour or attitude is still unacceptable they will follow the exclusion and suspension procedures as outlined in the Education Act. In addition, where a decision is made to exclude a student from the school’s homestay arrangements and this necessitates a return home, the following procedures will be followed:

  • 1. The agent and parents of the International student will be notified of the matters causing concern.

  • 2. A decision will be made as to whether the student should be given permission to enrol with an alternative provider in New Zealand.

  • 3. The Principal’s decision can be referred to the Board of Trustees where the student has been suspended or removed from the homestay.

  • 4. The student has the right to attend the hearing and to be represented as provided for in the 1989 Education Act.


Students studying from Years 9 – 11 are required to wear a uniform. Senior students (Years 12 and 13) have a dress uniform for special occasions and wear tidy, informal clothing at other times. The approximate cost of a new uniform for girls is $300.00 and boys $250. However second hand uniforms are available from the school for $50 – $100.00.


You must start and finish school on the set dates. You will not be allowed to leave school before the start of the holidays unless there are very special reasons for you to do so. Therefore, it is important that you book your flight home as soon as possible to ensure you get confirmed flights.


Under the conditions of their student visa, college students are not permitted to work.


Ownership of motor vehicles is allowed only after the permission of the Principal is obtained.