TV Documentaries, Reality Shows, Sitcoms, and Ads
Chris Mosier: Nike TV Ad
- Chris Mosier is the first transgender duathlete to make the men’s US national team. This is a short Nike ad about how he persevered in his quest to be the best and never gave up.
Gender Revolution with Katie Couric: TV Documentary, Rated TV-PG
- A National Geographic TV documentary with Katie Couric that explores the rapidly evolving complexities of gender identity by speaking with scientists, psycholgists, gender specialists, activists, and parents/families.
Glee: TV series, Rated TV-14
- A original FOX musical comedy-drama tv series that aired from 2009 to 2015. This show is about a high school's misfits who are drawn to the school's glee club. It pushes the boundaries of social justice issues, gender and sexual orientation.
It Gets Better: TV Documentary, Rated TV-14
- An MTV documentary chronicling the lives of three real-life teens and delivers a positive message of hope and perseverance. Includes frank discussions regarding thoughts on being LGBTQ+, what they think of society's view of them and other LGBTQ+ people, and about the incidence of self-harm and suicide. While mainly about the LGBTQ+ community, this documentary would help anyone who has felt the hurt of being bullied or ostracized.
I Am Jazz: Reality TV, Not rated
- Jazz is a transgender female, living as a girl since kindergarten. This reality TV show chronicles her life as she tries to navigate high school, with all the normal struggles of a typical teen, along with the additional challenges that being transgender brings to her and her family’s life.
- Jazz is a TV personality, spokesmodel and LGBTQ rights activist. She is noted for being one of the youngest, nationally known, transgender people to speak openly of her life as a transgender girl.
RuPaul's Drag Race: Reality TV, Rated TV-14
- An American reality competition where contestants compete to be the next "drag superstar". Winner of several Emmy and other media awards, RuPaul's Drag Race was renewed for its 10th season.
Transgeneration: TV series, Not rated
- A reality TV documentary-style drama about 4 transgender college students and their trials and tribulations during the 2004-2005 academic year.
Transparent: Amazon TV series, Not rated
- An Amazon series about an LA family with serious boundary issues and the discovery that their father is a transgender woman. A successful comedy-drama web series, Transparent's fourth season opened in September 2017.
When We Rise: Mini-Series, Rated TV-14
- An ABC TV mini-series chronicling the lives of a group of LGBT people who helped blaze the trail of the Civil Rights movement from the 1960's to present day.
Will & Grace: TV sitcom, Rated TV-14
- TV sitcom about best friends, Will & Grace, who live together in New York City. Will is a gay lawyer and Grace is a straight interior designer, Will & Grace was one of the most successful TV sitcoms with a gay principal character. Winner of 16 Emmy awards and other media awards, Will & Grace ran from 1998-2006 and is returning again to TV in Fall 2017.