Baglan Church School
Baglan Church School
Baglan Church School in 1906
Baglan Church School, sometimes known as Baglan National School was built on Old Road, Baglan in 1873 to replace an existing Pant y Swan school, also on Old Road. Miss Mary Baker was the first certified Mistress.
It had a total floor area of 900 square feet and could accommodate 110 pupils with the standard 8 square feet per pupil being the rule.
In May 1881, it was noted in the school minutes that the attendance at Baglan Church School was amongst the top six in the area.
It closed in 1951 when Baglan primary school on Elmwood Road opened on 19th February 1952.
Funding
Funding for the school appears to have derived from a variety of sources. These include a steady income from monies invested by the Patron, Griffith Llewellyn, of Baglan. Other money was raised by the local community, Government grants and parental contributions of 'school pence'.
Mrs Judith Rees can remember her time at Baglan Church School. Her memories include being in a class with pupils of different ages, many children were far older than her.
Each afternoon, each child was given a bun, which was provided by Mrs Madelina Georgina Llewellyn, wife of the patron.
School Photographs
1910
The 'mistress' was Mrs H M Finch, who served from 1906 to 1919.
1914
1923
Baglan primary school pupils learnt about Baglan Church School as part of a Welsh Heritage project named From Teaching to Preaching. Click below to find out more.