Carbon Monoxide Detector Information

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, toxic gas that can kill in minutes. System connected and remotely monitored carbon monoxide detectors can play a critical role in saving lives.

a Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is created when fossil fuels do not burn completely. Improperly maintained heating and cooking equipment are possible sources of carbon monoxide in the home. Vehicles running in an attached garage and generators too close to your home can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the bloodstream. As more and more carbon monoxide accumulates in the blood, suffocation occurs. Mild CO poisoning often appears like the flu, but more serious poisoning can lead to difficulty breathing and even death. Victims exposed to high levels of CO can become seriously ill or die in less than 15 minutes.

Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Yet, many people do not know they are suffering from CO poisoning until it’s too late.

Replacement requirements

Carbon Monoxide Detector loose their effectiveness over time. Because of this, there is an end-of-life timer built into all Carbon Monoxide Detectors, requiring their replacement.

Please contact us to schedule replacement once your Alarm System's Carbon Monoxide Detector's end-of-life timer activates (usually a trouble condition occurs that cannot be restored and/or beeping at the Detector).

Locations

You should have a Carbon Monoxide Detector ✓ Within 10 feet of all sleeping areas ✓ Inside the bedroom if it contains a fuel-burning appliance ✓ On every floor of the home or building ✓ In the vicinity of flame-fueled appliances, but no closer than 10 feet ✓ At least as high as the light switch and six inches from the ceiling if mounted on a wall ✓ At least twelve inches from the wall if mounted on a ceiling ✓ Away from vents and the reach of children and pets

Residential Alarm System Carbon Monoxide Detectors are to be considered supplemental detection to any existing Carbon Monoxide Detectors are installed by the Electrician during building construction. The Carbon Monoxide Detectors installed by an electrician are NOT connected to your Alarm System, they are Hard-Wired (powered by your homes electrical system).

Beeping

(a) If Carbon Monoxide Detectors are part of your Alarm System, they could be Wireless -or- Hard-Wired. Only the Wireless Detectors utilize batteries (the Hard-Wired Detectors utilize the Alarm Panel's Backup Battery when there is a loss of power).

(b) The Alarm System's Wireless Carbon Monoxide Detectors will beep when it is time to replace the battery(ies) in the Detector (your Alarm System's keypad would have told you about a week BEFORE the beeping began which Smoke Detector has a low battery condition - the battery(ies) should be replaced BEFORE the wireless Carbon Monoxide Detector starts to beep. See Instructions page HERE for information on replacing Detector Battery(ies) for your specific Alarm System.

(c) If your wired or wireless Carbon Monoxide Detector has reached its end-of-life it will start beeping and must be replaced.

(c) If you are experiencing a beeping and think it is associated with the Alarm System, see what the keypad display is communicating. If there is no message, it is most probably a device NOT associated with your Alarm System.

Maintenance

(a) Clean Carbon Monoxide Detector cover monthly using a soft brush attachment to a vacuum cleaner.

(b) Protect chamber vents during fogging/misting/spraying and from remodel construction dust, as this can cause damage and false alarms.

(c) electronic cigarette vapor/steam can cause damage.

Limitations of Carbon Monoxide Detectors

A Limitation Statement from Honeywell can be downloaded HERE