The content on this site aligns with the metaliteracy goals and learning objectives. Here you will find a series of tiered activities for learners within four core areas connected with metaliteracy: Producer & Collaborator, Master Evaluator, Digital Citizen and Empowered Learner. Each of the four areas is associated with a digital badge that may be earned and displayed on an e-portfolio or profile (Please note, however, that this site is currently serving as an open repository; badging functionality and interactivity are not enabled at this time).
What is Metaliteracy?
"Metaliteracy provides a model for thinking and knowing in a social media age that is fraught with misleading and downright false information from a wide range of questionable sources. Metaliterate learners are developed across many academic disciplines through teaching and learning situations that promote self-direction, collaboration, participation, and metacognitive thinking." (Jacobson & Mackey, Higher Ed Jobs, 2018)
Metaliteracy learning falls into four domains:
- Behavioral: what students should be able to do upon successful completion of learning activities (skills, competencies)
- Cognitive: what students should know upon successful completion of learning activities (comprehension, organization, application, evaluation)
- Affective: changes in learners’ emotions or attitudes through engagement with learning activities, and
- Metacognitive: what learners think about their own thinking—a reflective understanding of how and why they learn, what they do and do not know, their preconceptions, and how to continue to learn.
Reusing Content on this Site:
At the bottom of this site you will notice a CC-BY-NC license indicated by this icon:
The content was written by members of the Metaliteracy Learning Collaborative, which includes several educators across the SUNY system.
The content on this site is openly available for instructors to use with their students. You are welcome to adapt the content for specific disciplines or assignments. Learners are also free to use the content without an intermediary to enhance their understanding of the core areas so critical to being an active and effective consumer and creator in today’s complex information environment.
Under a CC-BY-NC license you may:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made.
- You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
Any additional videos or linked content are each licensed by the creator of that content as identified with the video or text. Please abide by their wishes.