Then and now …

Views of Higham Ferrers from the past

Walnut Tree, looking towards what was then known as "Lover's Lane"

The Walnut Tree just survives! Looking toward Kings Meadow Lane

North End looking towards the Walnut Tree – note the open gulley and drainage hole bottom right

The present houses replaced a filling station/garage

Looking towards North End circa 1910

Bolton House, at the Kimbolton Road and A6 College Street junction, built in 1912 for William Hector, currier

Bolton House was demolished for the road widening about 1969

Kimbolton Road looking towards the junction with College Street

Kimbolton Road looking East

The Co-operative Shoe Factory at the junction of Kimbolton Rd and Chichele Street. Built in about 1904

Despite strong local objections the building was demolished and replaced by flats

Looking north along College Street circa 1912

The Green Dragon, thought to date back to about 1680, circa 1895

This present layout appeared in the Great Sale catalogue of 1914

The Market Square looking north towards College Street

Now a busy car park, but a monthly Farmers Market is still held on the Square

Town Yard

Chichele Close opened about 1938

Wood Street showing the Post Office and Coffee Tavern, opened in 1883

The Coffee Tavern was demolished about 1953

Junction of High Street and Wharf Road, from a postcard dated 1958

Junction of Wharf Road and Saffron Road circa 1930

The School was opened in October 1873

High Street looking north, from a postcard franked 1913

High Street looking south circa 1914

Note the addition of safety railings

The Old Toll House – demolished circa 1930

Left – 67, High Street, the birthplace of Archbishop Chichele and on the right TG's Dental Suite which was built as a Co-op store about 1960

Wellingborough Rd was renamed in

the late 1950's

Now looking along Northampton Road

Higham Hill looking north

Not many people stroll along in the middle of the road now!!