58 Kilbirnie Crescent
This building at 58 Kilbirnie Cres was constructed as a public hall by D L O'Donnell in 1906 and formally opened on 14 March 1906 by local MP Mr Izard. The Evening Post reported that the building "is 100 ft by 35ft, and is artistically finished, being lined throughout with, compressed metal. The stage is 35ft by 30ft, and the dimensions of the dancing hall are 60ft by 35ft. The building has seating accommodation for close on 500 people".
During its first 50 years it was known variously as O'Donnell's Hall, Kilbirnie Hall (ca 1913-1940), Embassy Hall (ca 1930), Rex Hall (ca 1939-55), and Raynor Greeks Hall. The hall was used for a variety of events including community, church and political meetings, church bazaars, school concerts, wrestling competitions, dances and for private functions such as weddings and birthdays.
Today the building has been converted into apartments.
This 1907 postcard shows Kilbirnie Crescent (then known as Beach Road) with the newly-built hall just left of the centre of the image.