The Realm, at the intersection of Moxham Ave and Taurima Street.
The Realm is a pub and restaurant at 7 Moxham Avenue. Two shops were built at the front of the site in 1923, and then a dance hall was built at the rear in 1926. By 1928 the name “The Realm” was adopted. The hall had a specially-sprung floor suitable for dancing, and all sorts of social events took place there. For example, a newspaper item from 1931 said that “the Realm Cabaret presented a gay scene on Saturday night, when about 200 dancers were present.” Supper was provided, there were spot prizes and a tap dancing demonstration and the Mascot band provided live music.
By the 1950s The Realm dance hall was extremely popular. One resident recalled that ‘jiving’ was only allowed in one small corner, and if anyone overstepped the line they would be ejected on to the street (Eastern Suburbs News, 23 Jul 1980). The hall was used by the Hataitai Kindergarten in the 1940s while their building in Taurima St was under construction. By the 1970s the hall was being used as a warehouse, but then it was converted to become Giovanni’s licensed restaurant in 1976. Giovanni’s had a facelift in 1980, when a newspaper reported that “the new part of the restaurant will seat 85 people and the original restaurant in front will be used as a reception lounge where customers can have a drink by an open fire.”
In 1992 the Evening Post reported that the building was to be redeveloped and turned into a tavern/grill, and the name ‘The Realm’ was reinstated.
Sources:Building permits WCC ArchivesDominion Post 5 Jun 2012Evening Post 18 May 1931Eastern Suburbs News 23 Jul 1980
Newspaper advertisement, 9 March 1928.