Cabin History‎ > ‎

Stove-2003

-- by Steve Sullivan

Steve sent this email to family members in November 2003.

Here is a short report on the Sullishak Stove Replacement Project.

Our next door neighbors, Gary and Jean, volunteered to help us transport and install the wood stove. They not only have a pickup but they also have a dolly complete with a winch-driven lift. Gary is also skilled in this sort of work and brought nice tools.

On Wednesday, before Thanksgiving, Gary and Yan picked up the stove from our local wood stove dealer. They also picked up a bottom heat shield and new stove pipe.

Upon arriving home they inspected the stove and discovered that the store had given them the more expensive catalytic converter stove. They returned to the store and obtained the correct stove.

On Thanksgiving morning we all left at 7:30 a.m. for the coast. Our first job on arriving at the cabin was to remove the old Resolute and clean the chimney. As we were preparing the stove for removal, Yan snapped the enclosed picture. The stove pipe mounting plate had come off from the stove and the surfaces that once held this plate on were missing. I also discovered that an internal part needed to hold the smoke recirculating parts in place was missing.




















This shows the stove, an Intrepid NC, being put in place to allow us to cut the stove pipe to the proper length. By this time we had discovered that the store had given us the wrong mounting hardware for the bottom heat shield. Luckily the heat shield mounting hardware on the old Resolute would work and we moved it to the Intrepid. At this stage in assembly the front doors, the fire bricks and the ash drawer have been removed to aid in moving the stove. 










In this picture Gary and Steve are installing the stove pipe. Although the Intrepid is smaller in all dimensions, the legs are longer so that the upper surface is at about the same height as the Resolute.  Because it is smaller the warming trays do not fit.  The door handle can be seen next to the front-right leg.  The door handle slips into place to open the doors and then can be stored by the leg so that it does not get hot.  This sounds good and having the doors swing to the side must be better than the old Resolute door that fell forward.  However, the design is still lacking.  It is hard to get both doors to close at the same time and the handle can get lost or dropped.





















The first fire. Located right below the fire is the ash drawer. The instructions claim that the ash will end up in this drawer, which should be emptied about every three days of operation. The floor under the fire appears to be fire bricks so I'm not sure how the ash gets into the drawer.




















The stove in operation. The manual says that the glass stays clean because fresh air enters above the glass. There are stainless steel tubes at the top of the fire box that let in air to help smoke get fully burnt. The exhaust from the chimney was hardly visible. Although the stove burnt very clean, I suspect that the down side is that you can not close off the air supply enough to keep the stove from burning quickly (and cleanly). When fully loaded with wood it proceeded to burn at 700 degrees. Also, the stove does not take as much wood as the Resolute and loading wood through the front doors is much harder. We got the cabin up to a toasty 80 degrees.












The last picture shows Ana and Steve.  Ana did her homework and helped us winterize the cabin.  Although you might think that the cabin was cold by looking at me, actually I had just returned from a walk on the beach.

The old stove is on the deck. It could be used as very poor table, a large flower pot or an outside barbeque. We do need to find a volunteer to help us dispose of the old stove.

++Steve