April 26-27, 2008
Our first task was to cut through the sidewalk with a concrete-cutting blade on a Skill saw. The hard pan is too hard to dig down and across at the 3-foot level by hand, so the concrete sidewalk needed to go. Later, depending on how people want to landscape, it would be easy enough to replace the sidewalk with a few bags of concrete.
Dave Helton begins by digging with the backhoe next to the cabin.
Dave Sullivan operates the backhoe to dig a 3-foot trench all the way to the road.
For a while, Barb Sullivan sat in the driver's seat and drove the backhoe forward ... while Dave Sullivan operated the bucket from the rear seat. This definitely speeded the operation up.
A slight mistake with the backhoe snapped the sewer line. So we went to Ace Hardware in Lincoln City to buy replacement line and a couple of rubber couplings. Here, Dave Helton is cutting the sewer line with a hand saw.
This shows the electrical service line in the bottom of the trench.
Dave Sullivan stands on top of the 3-inch electrical conduit. The main purpose of this shot is to prove the pipe was buried the full 3-feet deep as required by the National Electrical Code.
Two reference pictures. These photos are likely to be useful if a cabin is built on the empty lot. The shovel marks the end of the second 3-inch electrical conduit that crosses the street and heads straight into the vacant lot. Several feet earlier, the first 3-inch electrical conduit turns north and heads toward the existing cabin. You can also see the two white 1-inch conduits for cable and phone lines. The 1-inch conduits are 1-foot less deep ... and they stop a couple of feet short of where the 3-inch conduit stops. We ran these currently unused lines several feet further toward the interior of the vacant lot so it would be easy to find and attach onto them without disturbing the lines going to the cabin.
By Sunday morning, all the major earthmoving had been done, and the backhoe was loaded onto a trailer. The yard is a mess -- that was an unavoidable consequence of moving so much dirt to get the electrical line a full 3-feet deep. The backhoe was heavier than is reasonable to tow with a light Ford Ranger pickup ... and on the way back to Newport, both the pickup and trailer began swaying back-and-forth violently. Fortunately, enough speed dissipated so the swaying stopped before the truck and trailer jack-knifed. Still, this was a very scary incident because we had no control over the vehicles during this process.
Despite the resulting mess, we did try to clean up. You can see Dave Helton here showing his tongue to Barbara and the camera.
This shows the meter base ready for a meter ...
Dave and Peggy Helton ... and their dog, Smoke, prepare to depart.
July 31 - August 1, 2008
Nearly all the work on the kitchen panel box has been completed in this picture. Things that changed included:
- Removing the old service entrance wires and linking this box to the new main service entrance with a 100-amp circuit.
- Moving the range circuit to the main service panel.
- Separating the ground and neutral bars.
- Adding a new 20-amp double-pole breaker to separate the dryer and cadet heater circuits.
All that remains to be done is adding insulation to the wall and buttoning up.
The main service panel is now on the front wall. Nearly all wiring has been done in this image. I added insulation to this wall as well.
I bought a used heater at the local bargain building supply for $10 or $20.
All done! Everything is back together (except that I haven't mounted the spice rack over the stove. Notice the new light on the front wall. It has a light switch to the right of the service panel. Also, I mounted a thermostat above the light switch. Thus, we now have "set and forget" temperature control in the living room.