GPS: SC3. e, SC1. e, SC1. d (1 - 3)
- How and why do elements bond?
- What is the octet rule?
- How are ionic and covalent bonds
- Compare and contrast ionic and
covalent bonding and properties of ionic and covalent compounds.
- How are ionic, covalent, and acidic
compounds (binary and tertiary) named using IUPAC nomenclature?
- How are formulas written for stable ionic compounds
based on balance of charge?
- What are crystals and what do they represent?
- How does the difference in electronegativity between 2 bonded atoms determine bond character?
- What are intermolecular forces?
- How are intermolecular forces related to dipoles within molecules?
- Describe polarity and the properties associated with polar molecules.
- London dispersion
7 pages 206 – 228, Chapter 8 pages 239 – 271, and 12.2 pages 411 – 415
http://www.dsisd.txed.net/documentcenter/view/16971 (Writing formulas for metals with multiple oxidation states)