In addition to the KOBServer software, you'll need to install a web server to make the various server status pages available to KOB users. As far as I know, any HTTP web server will do the job, as long as you configure its root directory to C:\www (or whatever pathname you specify in the command that launches KOBServer.py). I happen to use lighttpd with Linux and Apache with Windows. The following instructions assume you're installing Apache 2 on Windows.
- Go to httpd.apache.org and find the Win32 binary for latest stable release of Apache HTTP Server. If the latest release doesn't include Win32 binaries, then find an earlier release that does. The "no SSL" version is all you need for the KOB server, but you can install the OpenSSL version if you prefer.
- Download and run the httpd-n.n.nn-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi file. Provide the following information when prompted:
mtc-xx.dyndns.org (where xx is your office call)
Administrator's Email Address: your email address
Install programs and shortcuts for: All Users, on Port 80, as a Service
Setup Type: Typical
Destination Folder: accept default
- Edit the Apache configuration file by clicking on Start > All Programs > Apache HTTP Server > Configure Apache Server > Edit the Apache httpd.conf Configuration, and change the DocumentRoot and Directory lines (not the <Directory /> line!) as follows:
Reboot your computer after making the above edits for the changes to take effect.
Note: You may need to run Notepad in administrator mode in order to edit this file. To do this, launch Notepad by right-clicking on the Notepad icon and selecting "Run as administrator", open the file (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Apachen.n\httpd.conf), perform the above edits, and save the file.
- Using you web browser, go to http://mycomputer, where mycomputer is the computer name of your server platform. To determine your computer's name, right-click on Computer and select Properties; the computer name will be found under the "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" heading.
- The KOBServer activity page should appear in your web browser window. If instead you see the message "It works!", then the Apache server is running correctly but its configuration file has not been successfully edited. You may have to reboot your computer.
- Click on the "Server info" link at the bottom of the activity page to display the server's info file.
- Click on the "Current Log" link to display the server log.
Now it's time to tackle network configuration.