2 cups dried green peas, washed
1 large onion
2 diced carrots
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
lots of black pepper
- Wash and drain the green peas making sure to pick out any little pebbles that may be in there. I have never found one but "they" say there could be some.
- Saute onions and carrots in a bit of olive oil until slightly softened in a large pot.
- Place ham bone, peas, bay leaf, thyme and pepper in the pot and cover with water.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove ham bone, any large pieces of meat and any fat.
- Discard bone and fat and add the meat pieces back into the pot.
- Add salt if needed but it probably won't be due to the salt in the ham.
- If you put this in the fridge for another day it will get really thick but should loosen up again when heated. If not thin enough for your liking then add a little water to it and heat through.