- 4 lb. roast, you can use an inexpensive cut such as blade or
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- rosemary, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 carton beef broth or water
- chili flakes
- sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (for later)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan over medium
high heat. Put in a couple tablespoons of olive oil or a mixture of
olive oil and butter (even better).
- Add the roast and brown well on all
sides and both ends. Remove to a plate and add in the onions.
- Saute until
slightly browned and toss in all the spices and seasonings. Stir it
around for a minute to release the flavours and then add in the broth or
water. (water is fine if you are using a soup mix because the broth is
already in there).
- Return the meat to pot and cover. Simmer over
low heat for a few hours. You could put it in a crock pot too.
- When the meat is done remove it from the pan and keep warm.
- Mix the
cornstarch with some cold water. Stir this into the liquids in the pot.
Increase the heat slightly to get it to boil. Stir occasionally for a
few minutes until the sauce thickens. Pour this over the meat.
Click here for post with pictures.