New and Improved!
Here is your new one stop web site for everything science in San Dieguito Union High School District. This site will have the following:
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) Resources by Discipline
- Professional Development Resources Presented by Jenn McCluan
- Updated District Resources
While it is no longer being updated, click here for the old SDUHSD Science website in case there are resources there you would still like to access.
SDUHSD's NGSS Course Models
SDUHSD is a 7-12th grade school district, and has adopted the:
- California Preferred Middle School Integrated Model for its 7th and 8th grade science classes.
- California 3 Course Model for High School that embeds Earth-Space Science content into Biology, Chemistry and Physics classes.
- A summary table of the NGSS Performance Expectation standards assigned to each class is included below.
SDUHSD plans to change its current 2 year science graduation requirement to 3 years once it has identified which science courses will count toward graduation and the timeline for high school formal implementation.
SDUHSD is working with our five elementary feeder district leadership to support K-12 vertical articulation in science.
Middle School NGSS Parent Information Nights
SDUHSD will host three NGSS Parent Information Nights in October 2018 to share information about the Next Generation Science Standards and our district transition plan with our families.
- 10-9-18: Earl Warren Middle School (Multipurpose Room)
- 10-18-18: Pacific Trails Middle School (Multipurpose Room)
- 10-24-18: Oak Crest Middle School (Learning Commons)
NGSS Standards Assignment to 6th-12th Grade Science
SDUHSD's NGSS Implementation Timeline*
2017-2018 NGSS Transition Year for SDUHSD
For the 2018-2019 School year, SDUHSD will continue our gradual, multi-year transition to Next Generation Science Standards by:
- Continuing the shift of content across our existing courses to align with new course models
- Continuing to develop all teachers’ instructional and assessment knowledge and skills to align with NGSS expectations
- Explore potential instructional materials through pilots
- Educating and seeking feedback from our students and parents
- Formally implementing the 7th Grade Integrated Course Model
SDUHSD Science Department Goals for 2018-2019
Goal 1: Identify and plan authentic three dimensional NGSS-aligned instruction.
Goal 2: Incorporate instructional strategies and assessments that reflect authentic three dimensional NGSS learning, academic literacy, and differentiation.
Goal 3: Implement appropriate shifts based on the district timeline by:
Developing district-wide objectives for high school NGSS course to clarify scope
Refinement of Scope and Sequences for 7th, 8th, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses
Goal 4: Continue to explore potential instructional materials and identify technology needs.
SDUHSD NGSS Content Shift Expectations for Science Courses
The table below summarizes the expected content shifts and timeline for science courses.
This website is maintained by Jennifer McCluan, Science Teacher on Special Assignment for the San Dieguito Union High School District. Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions/requests related to this site.
*The NGSS image at the top of this website is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it.”