March is Reading Month Contest, March 2020. In order to promote a culture of reading, celebrate reading month, and promote use of the REMC 10 e-Library system, REMC 10 is sponsoring a contest! The classroom from each building with the most books read from the MackinVIA system will win a set of books for their classroom worth up to $50.
How do I participate? It's simple, just have your students read books in the MackinVIA system and log them into the contest form. To get a copy of the contest form click on this link and fill out the short form: https://forms.gle/udZ77Ch2m7UBx9Me6 we will then e-mail you a link to the contest log form.
Books logged as read between March 2 - March 31, 2020 will be counted. Students can read in class or at home, remember MackinVIA e-books are accessible from anywhere.
The winning classrooms will be announced on or around Tuesday, April 7, 2020. The teachers of the winning classrooms will get to select which classroom set of books they would like and REMC 10 will handle ordering and delivery.
TumbleBooks Premium is now part of our MackinVIA subscription and available in all VIA's! Find it by clicking on Databases on the left side menu. Here's some information about what TumbleBooks Premium includes:
The TumblePremium collection has over 1,100 titles with content most appropriate for those in grades K-6. It includes animated talking picture books, chapter books, videos, non-fiction titles, playlists, books in languages other than English such as French and Spanish, graphic novels and math stories.
Our subscription provides access to a rich collection of educational resources such as lesson plans, quizzes, educational games and puzzles related to both math and language skills. Our subscription also includes the FREE Common Core Portals: a K-5 English Common Core Portal and a Math Common Core Portal. These portals have resources aligned to core standards and make integrating TumbleBooks and the Common Core into your classrooms effortless.
The REMC 10 e-Library system contains nearly 5,000 e-Book and audio book titles that are available for schools and their students to use anywhere, anytime! This is in addition to the over 1,100 titles available through our Tumblebooks subscription (see above)! The system uses MackinVIA's online platform to house and manage our e-Books. There are currently 13 participating districts using the e-Library system.
We have a wide variety of titles covering Pre-K - 12. Many of the titles are Accelerated Reader books. Students can access the e-books on either school owned or personal devices.
- Brown City
- Harbor Beach
- North Huron**
- Sanilac ISD
- Tuscola ISD
We currently have 20 classroom sets in the e-Library. The classroom sets include 40 copies of each of the titles. The goal is to coordinate use of the classroom sets between districts to make the most effective use of them. We also have close to 100 titles that are multi-user meaning that unlimited copies of the titles can be checked out at the same time. Here are the classroom sets currently in our system:
- 1984, George Orwell, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
- Animal Farm, George Orwell, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Beowulf, Kieran Bew
- Best Christmas Pageant Ever, B. Robinson, Including 5 Digital Audio Copies
- The Cay, Theodore Taylor, Including 5 Digital Audio Copies
- Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank
- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- The Giver, Lois Lowry, Including 5 Digital Audio Copies
- Lord of the Flies, William Golding, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Maniac Magee, Jerry Spinelli, Including 5 Digital Audio Copies
- Night, Elie Wiesel
- Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Outsiders, S. E. Hinton, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare/Tamara Hollingsworth, Including a Digital Audio Copy
- The Watsons go to Birmingham-1963, Christopher Paul Curtis, Including 5 Digital Audio Copies
- Wonder, R. J. Palacio, Just Added August 2018
The classroom sets, along with all titles in the e-Library were selected by a committee of educators representing all of our participating districts.
Professionally read digital audio books are also available in the system. In addition to the titles in the classroom sets section above that indicate an audio book copy, the following titles also have a quantity between 1 and 5 audio book copies for your use:
- Al Capone Does My Shirts, Gennifer Choldenko, Qty 5
- Anansi the Spider, Gerald McDermott, Qty 5
- Arrow to the Sun, Gerald McDermott, Qty 5
- A Bad Case Of Strips, David Shannon, Qty 5
- The Biggest Bear, Lynd Ward, Qty 5
- Caps for Sale, Esphyr Slobodkina, Qty 5
- The Cat in the Hat and other Dr. Seuss Favorites, Seuss, Qty 5
- Chester's Way, Kevin Henkes, Qty 5
- Corduroy, Don Freeman, Qty 5
- Dear Mrs. LaRue, Letters from Obedience School, Mark Teague, Qty 5
- Diary of a Fly, Doreen Cronin, Qty 5
- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, Mo Willems, Qty 5
- The Doorbell Rang, Pat Hutchins, Qty 5
- Emily's fortune, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Qty 5
- Flora & Ulysses, Kate DiCamillo, Qty 5
- Flush, Carl Hiaasen, Qty 5
- Frog and Toad Are Friends, Arnold Lobel, Qty 5
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears, James Marshall, Qty 5
- Hansel and Gretel, James Marshall, Qty 5
- Henry's Freedom Box, Ellen Levine, Qty 5
- How do Dinosaurs Go to School?, Jane Yolen, Qty 5
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, Qty 1
- Jessica, Kevin Henkes, Qty 5
- Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Kevin Henkes, Qty 5
- The lion & the mouse, Jerry Pinkney, Qty 1
- Little Red Hen, The, Lucinda McQueen, Qty 5
- Lon Po Po: a Red-Riding Hood story from China, Ed Young, Qty 5
- Middle school. The worst years of my life, James Patterson, Qty 5
- Number the Stars, Lois Lowry, Qty 5
- Olivia forms a band, Ian Falconer, Qty 5
- Shark Wars, E. J. Altbacker, Qty 5
- Stormbreaker, Anthony Horowitz, Qty 5
- Tales from a not-so-fabulous life, Rachel Renee Russell, Qty 5
- The true story of the 3 little pigs, Jon Scieszka, Qty 5
- The view from Saturday, E. L. Konigsburg, Qty 5
- Walk two moons, Sharon Creech, Qty 5
- When Sophie gets angry-- really, really angry--, Molly Bang, Qty 5
Other districts are welcome to join the e-Library consortium. Contact Robert Frost for further details.
*Deckerville was a year 1 participant only so will continue to have access to titles purchased that year only.
**North Huron was a year 1 & 2 participant only so will continue to have access to titles purchased those 2 years only.