Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
What is a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)?
A SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
All Specialist High Skills Majors have 5 major components for completion.
Key Benefits of a Specialist High Skills Major
Pursuing a SHSM helps students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents.
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills.
- Earn credits that postsecondary educational institutions and the sector recognize.
- Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training.
- Develop essential skills and work habits;
- Identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future.
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change
What Specialist High Skills Major Programs are Offered in the RRDSB?
Atikokan High School:
Fort Frances High School:
Rainy River High School:
How is a Specialist High Skills Major recognized?
Students who successfully complete a SHSM receive:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma with an embossed SHSM seal;
- a SHSM Record documenting his/her achievement
- formal recognition on his/her Ontario Student Transcript.
How do I find out more?
See the program pages linked above for more information on courses, certifications, and activities.
Contact your school principal or the Student Success Leader at your school board.
More detailed information about SHSMs and how they work can be found at: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/morestudentsuccess/SHSM.html