High School and Beyond
Connect what you Learn to your Future!
The High School and Beyond Plan, which is a graduation requirement, is a collection of written documents to help students think about their future and choose coursework that prepares them for their goals after high school.
Starting in 8th grade, students work with their families and school staff to create their High School and Beyond Plan based on their own Personalized Pathway requirement. They continue to revise their plan each year throughout high school as their interests and/or goals change. Students use a program called Xello to explore their interests, skills and abilities as they being to develop their own personal college and career pathway.
The High School and Beyond Plan includes:
- The student's interests and abilities, and the relationship to his/her current career goals;
- A four-year plan for high school courses aligned to high school graduation requirements;
- A list of exams the student needs to graduate from high school and for post-secondary goals (ACT, SAT, etc.);
- Research on post-secondary programs related to the student's goals;
- A complete resume or activity log;
- A budget for life after high school; and
- Demonstration of preparedness through presentation of the plan.
Xello helps students discover the pathway that’s right for them, whether it involves a trade, college, university, entrepreneurship, or other training. As students gain self-knowledge through assessments and reflection, they save careers, schools, programs, and experiences to form a vibrant, visual roadmap to their future. It recommends courses for specific pathways, graduation requirements, and specializations so students can create a 4-year plan that aligns their high school courses and post-secondary goals.