The Officially Unofficial Torchbearer RPG Wiki
Hacks & Expansions
Expanding Torchbearer RPG with new rules, mechanics, and hacks
About Torchbearer RPG
Torchbearer is a riff on the early model of fantasy role-playing games. In it, you take on the role of an adventurer seeking his or her fortune. To earn that fortune, you must explore forlorn ruins, brave terrible monsters and retrieve forgotten treasures. However, this game is not about being a hero. It is not about fighting for what you believe. This game is about exploration and survival. You may become a hero. You might have to fight for your ideals. But to do either of those things, you must prove yourself in the wilds. Because there are no jobs, no inheritance, no other opportunities for our deadbeat adventurers. This life is their only hope to prosper in this world.
Torchbearer is part of the brand of games Burning Wheel HQ has been producing for over ten years. This is a game about making difficult choices while exploring the world and your character through the game rules and systems. And like all BWHQ games, the heart of the experience is about how your character changes when faced with adversity.
This is a hard game, not a simple one. There are many moving parts and it’s not possible to experience the whole game in one or even two sessions. But if you’re ready to sink your teeth into a good game that will reward you for mastering the system over 10 or 20 sessions, this is the game for you.
About the Underworld, Torchbearer RPG Wiki
Named after the Norse hall of the dead, the Underworld is a Wiki for the Torchbearer RPG. It is a community-led initiative to consolidate information for GMs and players from various sources.
There are journeys throughout Old Norse mythology to Hel, the Underworld, undertaken by gods or humans to obtain knowledge. The Underworld, also known as Helheim, was a place where ancestral knowledge and experience would accumulate in the afterlife for those brave enough to seek it out.
Torchbearer Dungeoneers & Dragonslayers Non-Commercial Termsheet
- This is a plain language license for those who wish to create material for the Torchbearer roleplaying game for non-commercial digital publication. The license is between the authors, Luke Crane and Thor Olavsrud, and the licensee.
- This license grants the holder the right to create new supplementary material for the Torchbearer roleplaying game. The licensee may use Torchbearer rules and terms except when such use would reprint artwork or large or key sections of text of the rulebook. Character and monster statistics and descriptions are excepted and may be reprinted.
- Supplementary material eligible for the license includes but is not limited to: adventures, new artwork, monster statistics, town events, camp events, twists, weapons, spells and prayers, skills, traits, towns, traps, magic items and character classes
- To be eligible for the Torchbearer Dungeoneers & Dragonslayers non-commercial license, the licensee must use the associated logos and trade dress to designate the publication as part of this license.
- All Torchbearer Dungeoneers & Dragonslayers products are published without review. However, the authors reserve the right to revoke the license for reasons including but not limited to: poor presentation, offensive content or poor fit for the Torchbearer rules.
- We grant the licensee the right to distribute supplementary publications for Torchbearer in a digital format. Nothing may be charged for said publication and no fee or royalty will be paid by the licensee to the authors.
- The authors make no claim to the copyright of the licensed work except in areas limited by this license. All rights to trademarked terms are retained by the authors.
- We reserve the right to revoke this license at our discretion. If the license is revoked, the material must remove all reference to Torchbearer and the authors, including logos, rules and trade dress.
Torchbearer © 2014 Thor Olavsrud.
Torchbearer is based on previous work by Luke Crane