Marching Band is a voluntary activity, and will only meet as an extracurricular ensemble.
Directors: Chris Paulson / Bruce Knepper / Jeff Parthun / Matt Finger
Semesters: Extracurricular - (After School) - during Fall semester
Prerequisite: Permission of Director of Bands
The Jefferson Marching Band will be comprised of all instrumentalists at Jefferson who wish to participate in the competitive marching band. Membership in this ensemble requires the willingness and ability to attend all extra-curricular practices and performances for the ensemble. The schedule of additional practices and performances is distributed at the Spring "Call-Out" meeting, prior to the next school year.
Additionally, marching band families will be responsible for paying a participation fee, which covers program design, additional staffing, travel costs for the season, and many other items. Fund-raising opportunities do exist for all families, and assistance from the Jefferson Band Boosters is also possible. Specific financial concerns and/or needs may be discussed with the band staff.
The band will be exposed to advanced techniques related to the marching band idiom, including advanced tone production, rhythmic development, balance and blend, stylistic refinement, and showmanship attributes necessary for their performances.
The marching band will perform extensively through the fall semester, including all home football games and at state and regional competitions. Travel, both in and out of state, is a regular occurrence for this ensemble.
2019 Performance Schedule:Subject to change based on enrollment to determine competition Class.
Competition itineraries will be made available for download the week of the event.
- 5/25/19 - Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade
- 8/23/19 - Football Game
- 9/6/19 - Football Game (8th grade night)
- 9/7/19 - Star City Invitational (home show)
- 9/14/19 - Brownsburg Invitational
- 9/21/19 - Bands of America Louisville
- 9/27/19 - Football Game
- 10/5/19 - Homestead and/or Plymouth Invitational(s)
- 10/11/19 - Football Game (homecoming)
- 10/12/19 - Scholastic Prelims @ Plymouth
- 10/18/19 - Football Game (senior night)
- 10/19/19 - ISSMA Open Class Regionals - JHS hosting Class B & D
- 10/26/19 - Scholastic Finals @ Lawrence Central or Bands Of America-Indy
- 11/2/19 - ISSMA Open Class Semi-State
- 11/9/19 - ISSMA Open Class State Finals
- 12/7/19 - Lafayette Christmas Parade
2019 Marching Bronchos
Show Title: "The Persistence of Time"
Have you ever wondered how the ISSMA marching band classifications are determined?
Open Classifications are based on school enrollment size for grades 9 – 12:
- Open Class A (1660 and Up)
- Open Class B (925 – 1659)
- Open Class C (562 – 924)
- Open Class D (Up to 561)
Scholastic Classifications are based on number of band participants:
- Scholastic Class A (Up to 110)
- Scholastic Class B (Up to 55)
Lafayette Jefferson is a Class A school based on enrollment. If the marching band has less than 110 members, we can choose to compete in Scholastic Class.
2018 "Scholastic Class A" Finals ~ 3rd Place
2017 "Scholastic Class A" Finals ~ 2nd Place