Thoughts on Goals Moving Forward
Review: Current 2019 crop planning features 5 acres, or more of food production crops for neighbors in need:
5 acres of Potatoes; at the KU PA German Cultural Heritage Center (HC)
0.5Acre Carrots at HC (Maybe)
- Mix of Conventional and GMO Soybean Plots. Conventional Soybean program with Harlan Burkholder's Mill.
- Mix of Conventional Field Corn and GMO Field Corn Plots. Conventional Field Corn program with Harlan Burkholder's Mill.
- Winter Rye Cover Crop in post potato production plots, and any idle plots as able.
Short Term – 2019, and Beyond
Operate per past norms, forward. Better No-till sustainability crops. Start Cover Crop Program if finances permit.
Thoughts on Goals for 2019
- √ Placed the November 2018 order for 250, 50 pound seed potato bags being 12,500 pounds for 2019, with Ed Shenk of Weaver's Ace Hardware, which are being 100% donated.
- Seed Potatoes are Scheduled to be cut in public invited Sessions, Saturday & Sunday 1PM-4P April 27th and 22th, at Becker's St. Peter's EL Church.
- √ Ordered 1 pounds of Carrot Seed.
- √ Ordered small amount of Popcorn for a trial.
- Hope to produce 62,500 - 125,000 pounds of potatoes to be harvested and distributed to local food pantries, and the Greater Berks Food Bank Shillington, and Second Harvest Food Bank Allentown, Chester County Food Bank Exeter, and other local pantries.
- Desire to upgrade and add field equipment - Visit the Wish List Page on Website. Acquire: 1. A 2 or 3 bin size Grain Truck - at which time would expect to disperse the existing dump trailer which also would aid in paying for that truck. 2. A 3Bottom Plow for MF275. See: Wish List
- Desire to expand field farming operations with additional acres being placed into the program close by, ranging from KU Heritage Center, particularly for sustainability project, which helps support the "potato project" successive year Spring startup, if/as the opportunity for additional land is presented. Would like 3-5Acre or more size plots "the farther out we need to travel". Since 2018, we have had acreage loss.
- String Bean or Sweet Corn Project startup; searching for associated harvest equipment which may be found available. The String Bean Project (Green String Beans, Yellow Wax, Snap Peas, Lima Beans).
- Consideration for physical facilities to be added for storage of Combine and additional equipment, being two additional carport type structures.
- Acquire an accessible 1 Acre of land – Place Office, Equipment Storage, Produce Storage and to scale Produce Processing Facility, Equipment, Maintenance Shop, as an Operations Center.
- Acquire additional field food crop automation equipment. . See Website Wish List Page.
- Acquire a manned or 2Row potato digger, sweet corn harvester, string bean harvester, other.
- Receive Additional Land - 1) desire to received into the project for use to support and expand what we are doing 2) and would like to do – 70, 150, 200, 750 upwards. 3) to 1000 Acres and 1 Million pounds of grown and donated fresh food to regional hungry neighbors in need. 4) From a future facility for Farming, Food Storage and Processing Facilities, Retreat Center, Cabin Housing, Worship Center, Modern Meeting and Education Center, and Other related activities.