One who is a competent hobby beekeeper and who demonstrates the skills and knowledge to effectively do sideline beekeeping.
- two years of beekeeping experience
- hold Certified Beekeeper status for at least one year
- pass the practical test where the candidate demonstrates the ability to:
- identify anatomical structures of a bee and a flower
- identify bee diseases
- demonstrate theoretic knowledge of Integrated Pest Management and competence in its application
- demonstrate competence in small-scale queen rearing
- identify several beekeeping items and state their uses
- distinguish between bees, wasps, hornets, and other non-bee insects
- read pesticide labels and determine which is the safest to use around bees
- pass the written test which includes materials covered during Institute lectures, labs, homework and assigned readings
- Completion of 24 internship hours (see internship requirements).
For more information, see our Study Guide.
Official text for the program...