100 Short Course (Beginning Beekeeping)
Dates: January 11, 18, 25, February 1, 8, 15
Time: 10:am - 1:00 pm
Location: 1400 Quincy St. NE, Washington DC
This is great preparation course for the beginning beekeeper or bee enthusiast alike. It is is an urban beekeeping course and is designed so that new beekeepers have the know-how and access to resources so that they can be responsible and successful city beekeepers.
The course runs for six consecutive weeks. After the completion of the course we extend one hands-on field day and one equipment setup day to help get the ball rolling. The date for these components will be set depending on the weather towards the end of the course.
Participants must attend at least five class sessions to be eligible for the certificate of completion. In addition to in class time participants will be expected to complete four short homework assignments and a comprehensive final exam. Upon completion of the course and having fulfilled course requirements, participants will be presented with a certificate from the Bee CARE Institute. At this time the course does not carry academic credit.
The introductory beekeeping course covers these topics:
- A Brief History of Beekeeping
- A Bees Life and How knowing Makes Your Life Easier
- Beekeeping Equipment: Woodenware, Tools, and Protective Gear
- The Beekeeping Year in DC and What to do When
- Diseases, Pests and Parasites
- Food for Bees: What DC Bees Eat
- Products of the Hive
- The Triamph of the City Bee
- Field session, including installing packages and nucleus colonies
- Equipment building hands-on workshop
Class sizes are limited so reserve your spot for our next class now
first come first serve. We will notify you when registration opens.
The cost for enrollment in the short course is $185 this covers all lectures, the textbook, and light refreshment.
* please see the Institute Policy page for more info on our refund policy.
If you need to make other arrangements for registration and payment please contact the registrar at: email@example.com