Next Class Dates:
Please note: We have a waitlist for our Family to Family class. Those on the waitlist will get priority.
Starts May 27th at 6:30 pm
ADD YOUR NAME TO OUR FAMILY TO FAMILY WAITLIST at email@example.com
If you are interested in a class, please contact us at 317-257-7517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
When emailing, if you include your name, mailing address, and best phone number at which to reach you, it will speed the process along.
If you are interested in taking the Family-to-Family class but the available location, date, or time doesn't work for you, please contact us and we can add your name and information to our wait list and will contact you when the next class is scheduled.
What is NAMI’s Family-to-Family Program?
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 8-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 115,000 family members have graduated from this national program
What does the course include?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
What people have to say about Family-to-Family
“Family members who take the NAMI Family-to-Family course are better equipped to work with mental health clinicians in a collaborative manner. My bottom-line recommendation? Take this course. It will help you learn to cope successfully with a major challenge in your life, and that, in turn, will help your loved one as he or she works toward recovery.”
-- Peter Weiden, M.D., author of Breakthroughs in Antipsychotic Medications