History of the M.N. Spear Memorial Library
The first Public Library in Shutesbury, housed in a single bookcase, was
established in 1811 by "Proprietors" or "Subscribers" -- more than
forty of whom contributes at least one dollar (one share) each --
"desirous to encourage the establishment of a Library in the Town by the
name of the social Library." The last record we find of a meeting of
the proprietors is dated February 23, 1823.
On April 2, 1894 the Town voted to accept the law necessary to secure a
"Free Library" and elect three library trustees. Twenty-five dollars was
appropriated for the library, which was opened in the town house and
maintained there until the present building was erected in 1902.
This structure was made possible through a bequest of $1,500 by Mirick
N. Spear of Amherst. William H. Hemenway contributed a sum of money for
In 1934 the library received an endowment for its maintenance in the
form of 45 shares of American Telephone and Telegraph stock, willed by
William N. Spear of Springfield.