Winner in the NaNoWriMo
write-a-novel-in-a-month contest, reaching 53,384 words exploring The Neon Buddha’s Ordinary Adventures
. Not coming soon to a bookstore near you!
3 December 2010:
One of three judges for the “Island-Style Slam” at the Redmond Association of Spokenword
holiday party, Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center, 16600 NE 80th Street, Redmond, Washington, 7:00 p.m.
- November 2010: Featured podcast on the Jack Straw Writers podcast site. This podcast includes a set of neon buddha poems, American Sentences, and a few longer poems. Enjoy!
- November 2010: Invited poet featured in Poetry Nippon, Japan’s oldest and one of its most prominent English-language poetry journals, published by the Poetry Society of Japan. The issue includes my sequence of a few dozen haiku on Pacific Northwest plants, plus two longer poems titled “Flowers on the Roof of Hell” and “Thunderbird.”
- November 2010: Results now online for the 2010 Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Haiku Invitational, which I judged.
- 15 November 2010: Featured reader in a Rose Alley Press reading to celebrate the publication of Many Trails to the Summit, a new anthology of forty-two Washington State poets, edited by David Horowitz. 7:00 p.m. at Richard Hugo House, 1634 11th Avenue, Seattle, Washington.
- 13 November 2010: Featured reader in the Jack Straw Writers Program at the Seattle Central Library, 1000 Fourth Avenue in Seattle, 2:00 p.m. +
- 4–7 November 2010: Seabeck Haiku Getaway, Seabeck, Washington (annual retreat that I direct for the Haiku Northwest group). MC for the weekend, book launch for Fifty-Seven Damn Good Haiku by a Bunch of Our Friends, and a presentation/workshop on “Punctuation and Haiku.” See our intense schedule.
- 23 October 2010: Free public haiku workshop at Seattle Center, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Seattle World’s Fair (scroll down to see the haiku announcement in Buzz #6), 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- 6 October 2010: “Haiku Targets” workshop (private class) at the Redmond Senior Center, 8703 160th Avenue NE in Redmond, Washington.
- 24 September 2010: MC for the Redmond Association of Spokenword, featuring fellow 2010 Jack Straw writers Katherine Grace Bond, Amber Flame, and Marjorie Manwaring, Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center, 16600 NE 80th Street, Redmond, Washington, 7:00 p.m.
- 15 September 2010: Featured poet at Daily Haiku, with seven neon buddha poems.
- 11–12 September 2010: Aki Matsuri (Japanese Fall Festival), Bellevue College, Bellevue, Washington (haiku table and haiku wall).
- 27 August 2010: Featured reader for SAM Remix at the Seattle Art Museum’s Olympic Sculpture Park, 2901 Western Avenue in Seattle, 8:00 p.m. to midnight. I’ll be giving a tour of sculptures for which I've written response poems, and will also staff a table at which the public is invited to write American Sentences (Allen Ginsberg’s variation of haiku). Read my poems for this event, with accompanying photos.
- 22 August 2010: Editor for Lighting a Candle, the 2010 Two Autumns anthology for the annual Haiku Poets of Northern California reading. I won’t be present, but the reading takes place at Fort Mason in San Francisco featuring four poets. My introduction to the book explores the role of vulnerability in haiku.
- 21–22 August 2010: Free haiku workshops each day at the Arts in Nature Festival at Seattle’s Camp Long, 5200 35th Avenue SW at SW Dawson Street. Haiku Northwest also had a haiku activity table, and decorated the festival grounds with haiku by its members—see “Haiku on Sticks.”
- 21 August 2010: Haiku reading, presentation, and free haiku contest at the Seattle Japanese Garden Moonviewing Festival, 7:00 p.m. ($15 admission to the event).
- 15 August 2010: Free poetry workshop on short-form poetry, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, and a reading of my poetry at 2:00 p.m. Good Ol’ Days Festival, Auburn, Washington.
- 4 August 2010: Featured reader at the Grange Café located at 15611 Main Street in Duvall, Washington. Open-mic starts at 6:30 p.m., with my feature at 7:00.
- 23–25 July, 2010: Gabriola Haiku Weekend, Gabriola Island, British Columbia, at Drumbeg House on Saturday and Gabriola Commons on Sunday (presentation on “deja-ku”).
- 14 July 2010: Poetry and Prose Circle, with me as facilitator, sponsored by the Redmond Association of Spokenword. Redmond United Methodist Church, 16540 NE 80th Street in Redmond, Washington. 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. Free and open to everyone.
- 25–27 June 2010: Hosting a national quarterly meeting of the Haiku Society of America at the Seattle Asian Art Museum (complete schedule and other details at Haiku Northwest site).
- 23 June 2010: A selection of my “neon buddha” poems featured on the PoetsWest poetry show on KSER public radio, 90.7 FM in Everett, Washington, at 4:30 p.m. See some of these poems at “40 neon buddhas.”
- 16 June 2010: My haiku and senryu, and a longer poem titled “Flowers on the Roof of Hell” (about Issa), featured on the PoetsWest poetry show on KSER public radio, 90.7 FM in Everett, Washington, at 4:30 p.m.
- 10 June 2010: Featured poet at the 2010 Microsoft Engineering Forum “Return to Boho” arts reception (in front of 500+ people, with jazz band accompaniment). Held 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Baker/Hood room of the Microsoft Conference Center in Redmond, Washington.
- 31 May 2010 (submission deadline): Judge of the 2010 Haiku Invitational sponsored by the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 29 May 2010: Presenting a paper on “Fuyoh Observations: Six Lessons Haiku Poets Can Learn from Japan” as part of the “Twentieth-Century American Haiku” panel at the American Literature Association conference, Hyatt Regency, 5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, 5:00 p.m.
- 20–22 May 2010: Three haiku workshops, a panel discussion, and a poetry reading for the Skagit River Poetry Festival, La Conner, Washington. +
- 14 May 2010: Featured reader in the 2010 Jack Straw Writers Program, 4261 Roosevelt Way NE in Seattle, 7:00 p.m. +
- 13 May 2010: “For the Love of Issa” presentation on Japanese haiku master Issa at the Seattle Japanese Garden in Washington Park Arboretum (at the monthly Haiku Northwest meeting).
- 11 May 2010: My poem, “Jim’s Jelly,” featured on J. Glenn Evans’ PoetsWest radio show on KSER 90.7 FM at 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time, among a collection of poems on the theme of friendship.
- 7–9 May 2010: Giving a reading, moderating a panel, and selling some of my books at the Northwest Poets’ Concord in Newport, Oregon (link leads to outdated PDF schedule).
- 3 May 2010: Teaching introductory haiku classes for Mt. Vernon High School in Mt. Vernon, Washington (for Freshman English, creative writing, and world literature classes taught by Michael Daley and Boni Killion).
- 28 April 2010: My poem “Promise” featured on the PoetsWest poetry show on KSER public radio, 90.7 FM in Everett, Washington, at 4:30 p.m.
- 26 April 2010: Teaching introductory haiku classes for Squalicum High School in Bellingham, Washington (7:30 a.m., for Steven Dolmatz) and Mt. Vernon High School in Mt. Vernon, Washington (12:30 p.m., for Michael Daley and Steve Clark).
- 24 April 2010: “Haiku Targets” workshop for Blue Heron Art Center, 19704 Vashon Highway SW, Vashon Island, Washington, 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. +
- 21 April 2010: Featured poet on Curtis Dunlap’s Blogging on Tobacco Road blog, with my “Flowers on the Roof of Hell” poem.
- 4 April 2010: Haiku panel at Sakura-Con 2010, Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, 3:00 p.m. Haiku Northwest will have a haiku table at Sakura-Con all weekend.
- 26–28 March 2010: Competing in the Washington State Singles Racquetball Championship, at Pro Sports Club in Bellevue, Washington. Is that poetic, or what?
- 5 March 2010: Writer's Block Literary Festival, University of Washington, Seattle, 7:00 p.m. (“Haiku Targets: Myths and Realities” workshop). +
- 26 February 2010: MC for the Redmond Association of Spokenword, featuring Rebecca Meredith (Redmond poet laureate), Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center, 16600 NE 80th Street, Redmond, Washington, 7:00 p.m.
- 21 February 2010: Semifinalist in the 2009 Concrete Wolf chapbook contest, with a manuscript coauthored with Tanya McDonald, titled “Seven Suns / Seven Moons.”
- 20 February 2010: “Editing Haiku” presentation, national quarterly meeting of the Haiku Society of America, Pacific Asia Museum, 46 N. Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, afternoon. Plus workshop leader at 8:00 p.m. See photos of the weekend.
- 19 February 2010: “Urban Haiku” performance with Victor Ortiz, Naia, and Debbie Kolodji, with photographic and musical accompaniment, Ten Thousand Villages, 567 South Lake Avenue, Pasadena, California, 7:30 p.m.
- 29 January 2010: MC for the Redmond Association of Spokenword, featuring Cat Rambo, Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center, 16600 NE 80th Street, Redmond, Washington, 7:00 p.m.
- 27 January 2010: “Haiku Targets: Myths and Realities” workshop at the Firehouse Café, 1314 Harris Avenue, Bellingham (Fairhaven), Washington, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. $29. Register with Seren Fargo. See Bellingham Herald story.
- 16 January 2010: Featured poet in the Winter 2010 issue of 3Lights journal.