2 Day Advanced Navigation Training Course
Lake District - £180 per person, max 4 people
Lake District Navigation Training Course - Advanced
For this course we operate a maximum 1:4 client ratio to ensure you have the best possible learning experience in some of the most complex mountain areas in the Lake District.
Borrowdale YHA, Lake District
- Sat 16/06/2018 - 17/06/2018
- Sat 11/08/2018 - 12/08/2018
Further dates to follow or on request
For the advanced course we head to the Lake District for 2 full days of training which provides much more time to practise the skills in more complex terrain providing the ideal environment to learn from your course leader.
This course is an ideal continuation for those who have already completed an intermediate course or already have good skills. You'll spend 2 days in the outdoors learning more advanced techniques and refining those you already have. Much of the time will be spent on complex terrain navigating to smaller features and with longer and more complex legs and much more focus on contours. I'll tailor the exercises for each person based on their level of skill and those areas you'd like to work on perfecting.
The course cost quoted does not include accommodation, although I have booked beds at Borrowdale YHA for the Friday and Saturday nights which are available for those wishing to stay for an additional £32 per night.
- Recap of basic / intermediate skills
- Navigating longer legs
- Navigating to/by smaller features, attack points, tick features
- Intricate contour details
- Navigation by contours & contouring
- Lots and lots of relocation!
- Improving accuracy of pacing and timing over varying terrain
- Advanced navigation strategies
- Relocation when lost
- Bearings, back bearings and boxing
- Improving accuracy of walking on a bearing over rough terrain
- Compass techniques for poor visibility/dark
- Aiming off
- Attack points
- Aspect of Slope
Course Location & Times
- Start 09:30 Lake District
- Borrowdale YHA, Lake District
- Finish by 16:00 - 17:00 each day
Recommended Equipment & Clothing
The 2 days will be largely practical, walking in both the lower valleys and up on the hills. We will be going off paths in rough and sometimes muddy terrain and so sturdy boots with good ankle support are highly recommended. You will be standing around whilst practicing skills in whatever weather we have on the day, which can be exposed on the hills, and will need appropriate clothing. Below is a recommended list:
- 1:25,000 maps of The Lake District
- Compass (if you want to practise with one) - recommend a Silva Type 4, Suunto A30 or similar. If buying one check it's Northern Hemisphere (NH), there are a lot for sale online which are not!!
- Appropriate walking clothing to keep you warm on the day (avoid jeans)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Spare warm layers (several thinner layers are more versatile than 1 thick)
- Walking boots (some areas are rough and uneven so good ankle support is recommended)
- Warm hat and gloves
- Food, drink and snacks for the day. We'll have a couple of food stops on the hill.
- Personal first aid kit (for minor cuts, blisters, pain relief etc and any personal medication)
- Notebook and pen