Stanage Edge & Keira Knightley Rock, Peak District
Guided Walking in the Peak District
A spectacular guided group walk along Stanage Edge visiting the inspiration for Thornfield Hall in Jane Eyre and Keira Knightley Rock from Pride and Prejudice.
A lovely walk along the spectacular Stanage Edge. Starting off fairly gently, we head down to North Lees, the inspiration for Thornfield Hall in Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre.
Next we climb up to the famous gritstone edge of Stanage, meaning "Stone Edge", a 5 km long gritstone escarpment famous for climbing. Here we visit the rock now known as Keira Knightley Rock used in the 2005 film of Pride and Prejudice.
The walk continues along a medieval packhorse route to the summit of Stanage Edge, with spectacular views all the way along. From here we continue walking to Burbage and visit it's ancient hill fort of Carl Wark. From Burbage we return to the car park after making one final visit to Stanage to see some of the old Mill Stones, now the symbol of the Peak District National Park.
The walk includes a mixture of good tracks and smaller footpaths and one moderate hill up to Stanage Edge, a climb of about 180 m (500 ft). At any time of year there could be some muddy sections. On top of Stanage Edge the path becomes rougher as we approach the trig point, the last part of which includes some optional clambering around on the rocks to reach the trig point.
Recommended Equipment & Clothing
- Appropriate walking clothing to keep you warm on the day (no jeans)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers (if could be wet)
- Spare warm layers (several thinner layers are more versatile than 1 thick)
- Walking boots (some areas are rough and uneven so boots providing good ankle support recommended rather than low cut walking/trail shoes. Boots will also keep your feet drier than walking shoes in boggy areas.) No Trainers.
- Warm hat and gloves or sun hat if sunny
- Food, drink and snacks for the day. We will have a couple of food stops whilst out on the hill.
- Personal first aid kit (for minor cuts, blisters, sun cream, pain relief etc and any personal medication)
- Rucksack with waterproof liner/bag
- Money for car park fees and a possible visit to a cafe
- Optional additions: gaiters and/or walking poles if you use them