Christmas Great Ridge Walk Castleton, Peak District
Guided Walking in the Peak District
Christmas on the most popular walk in the Peaks
The walk starts out from Castleton with an easy walk up to the foot of Mam Tor. We then follow the old abandoned road with a steady climb of about 270m (900ft) up to the top of the famous Mam Tor (or Shivering Mountain) at a height of 517m. From here we'll experience "one of the top ten views in England".
We then follow along the Great Ridge towards Hollin's Cross, which provides a great place to view the remains of the old Sheffield to Chapel en le Frith road which was lost to the land slips in 1979. We continue along the ridge to Lose Hill for another great view point.
Leaving the ridge we drop down and follow another beautiful path back towards Hollins Cross and back down to Castleton.
After the walk you're free to enjoy the wonderful Christmas lights and atmosphere in the village, visit the shops, teas shops and pubs.
The walk is mostly on good tracks and smaller footpaths and includes 2 fairly short but steep hills, and a longer climb of about 250m (900ft). At any time of year there could be some muddy sections. There is a fairly long descent from Hollin's Cross which is a little steep in places and can be a little slippery when wet so footwear with good grip is required.
Recommended Equipment & Clothing
- Appropriate walking clothing to keep you warm on the day (no jeans)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers (if could be wet)
- Spare warm layers (several thinner layers are more versatile than 1 thick)
- Walking boots (some areas are rough and uneven so boots providing good ankle support recommended rather than low cut walking/trail shoes. Boots will also keep your feet drier than walking shoes in boggy areas.) No Trainers.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Food, drink and snacks for the day. We will have a couple of food stops whilst out on the hill.
- Personal first aid kit (for minor cuts, blisters, sun cream, pain relief etc and any personal medication)
- Rucksack with waterproof liner/bag
- Money for car park fees and a possible visit to a cafe
- Optional additions: gaiters and/or walking poles if you use them