Stanton Moor & Nine Ladies Stone Circle from Rowsley, Peak District
Guided Walking in the Peak District
A fairly easy guided walk from the village of Rowsley, Derbyshire.
The walk starts from the small village of Rowsley, located where the River Wye meets the River Derwent. Rowsley is home to the fascinating Caudwell's Mill which still runs most days. We pass by the back of the mill, which has a great cafe we can visit at the end of the walk, and head through fields below the beech wood topped Peak Tor which was home to an early Celtic settlement and still has the remains of a dry moat.
We soon head up fairly steeply towards some lovely woods and then onto Stanton Moor. The site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and the sandstone moor is home to many interesting features for us to visit including the famous bronze age Nine Ladies Stone Circle, the Reform or "Earl Grey" Tower and the Cork Stone .
We then head down to the small village of Birchover, which we wind our way around, before returning via another route through Stanton Moor before heading back down to Rowsley.
The walk is mostly on good tracks and footpaths with one fairly steep hill up to Stanton Moor from Rowsley, a climb of about 200 m (600 ft). At any time of year there could be some muddy sections.
Recommended Equipment & Clothing
- Appropriate walking clothing to keep you warm on the day (no jeans)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Spare warm layers (several thinner layers are more versatile than 1 thick)
- Walking boots (Some areas are rough and uneven so boots providing good ankle support recommended rather than low cut walking shoes. Boots will also keep your feet drier than walking shoes in boggy area.)
- Warm hat and gloves or sun hat if sunny
- Food, drink and snacks for the day. We will have a couple of food stops whilst out on the hill.
- Personal first aid kit (for minor cuts, blisters, sun cream, pain relief etc and any personal medication)
- Rucksack with waterproof liner/bag
- Money for car park fees and a possible visit to a cafe
- Optional additions: gaiters and walking poles if you use them