Magpie Mine & Monsal Dale - Guided Walk Peak District
Peak District Guided Walks
A beautiful spring walk from the picturesque village of Ashford in the Water
This walk will be taking place 3 times during May and early June as spring really is the best time to visit these beautiful dales when full of spring flowers. The walk leaves the village of Ashford in the Water and climbs up and across fields to Monsal Head providing amazing views of the Wye valley. We then descend to the river and cross it at a footbridge before following alongside this lovely stretch of river through Monsal Dale.
After crossing the road we continue into Deep Dale where, there is usually an abundance of spring flowers including the early purple orchid, wild thyme, cowslips and many more. We gradually progress up Deep Dale taking time to admire the spring flowers before we head over to Magpie Mine.
We’ll spend a while at Magpie Mine enabling you to explore the best preserved 19th Century lead mine in the UK, with it’s Cornish engine house, chimneys and even an old horse gin. The Peak District Mines Historical Society have done a great job in preserving what is now Derbyshire's top industrial heritage site. There will be further opportunities to see spring flowers on the return walk to Ashford in the Water, some of which have adapted to living in areas with a high lead concentration, such as the Leadwort and yellow mountain pansies. There is also another great orchid spotting location as we pass through the fields towards the River Wye and usually a wonderful spread of wild garlic flowers in a shady little wood.
The walk is mostly on good footpaths and includes two fairly gradual ascents of about 150m/500ft. At any time of year there could to be some muddy sections.
Recommended Equipment & Clothing
- Appropriate walking clothing to keep you warm on the day (avoid jeans)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers if rain is possible
- Spare warm layers (several thinner layers are more versatile than 1 thick)
- Walking boots providing good ankle protection
- Warm hat and gloves
- Food, drink and snacks for the day. We'll have a couple of food stops on the walk.
- Personal first aid kit (for minor cuts, blisters, sun cream, pain relief etc and any personal medication)
- Money for car park fees and a possible cafe visit at the end