STEM School FabLab
Welcome to the STEM School FabLab website
and Home of STEM III!
HCDE Delays and Closure Impacts on Offsite Field Trips
If there is a two-hour HCDE school delay, offsite field trips (including offsite PBL kickoffs) will proceed as scheduled. If HCDE announces a closure, offsite field trips (including offsite PBL kickoffs) will be canceled and rescheduled as necessary. Students can check Google Classroom for a post for specific instructions.
Challenger Center and UTC Tour Field Trip - Monday, January 6th, 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD REPORT DIRECTLY TO THE CHALLENGER CENTER AND NOT THE STEM SCHOOL.
Juniors will attend an offsite field trip to the Challenger Center where they will participate in team building activities and a UTC campus tour. Parents, guardians, and students are responsible for transportation. Since the UTC campus tour involves walking outside, juniors should wear warm clothing. Students are released at 3:00 PM (unless they are part of the Micronaut PBL Kickoff or Dog Mobility Cart Kickoff which end at 4:00 PM).
- Address for Challenger Center Drop-Off: 855 E 5th St, Chattanooga, TN 37403
- Address for UTC Visitor Parking Garage: 601 E 5th St, Chattanooga, TN 37403 (about 15 minutes walking distance from Challenger Center)
See the attached map of the UTC campus with the locations of the Challenger Center and the UTC Visitor Parking Garage.
NOTE: Paid parking is available at the UTC Visitor Parking Garage or the Erlanger Hospital Parking Garage. STUDENTS MAY NOT PARK IN THE CHALLENGER CENTER PARKING LOT OR OTHER UTC DESIGNATED PARKING LOTS. Parking is strictly enforced by the UTC campus police. STUDENTS WHO PARK IN THE CHALLENGER CENTER PARKING LOT OR UTC DESIGNATED PARKING LOTS WILL RECEIVE A PARKING TICKET. Students are responsible for paying for parking and parking tickets.
3rd Quarter PBL Kickoffs are set!
See the schedule and map posted below and check your project page for details!
Flexible Scheduling for Kickoffs and Final Presentation During UP Days
We will have a very flexible schedule for kickoffs (or final presentations) during UP days. The guidelines are:
- Take the time you need to safely get to and from your kickoff (or final presentation).
- Attendance at kickoff (or final presentation) takes precedence over UP Days activities at STEM.
- If your kickoff (or final presentation) starts before 11 AM, you do not need to go to STEM first. If your kickoff (or final presentation) ends at 2:00 PM or later, you do not need to return to STEM.
- Use reasonable judgment and discuss special cases with Mr. Kranz or another Phase II teacher.
Here are some scenarios to illustrate these guidelines:
Scenario 1: My kickoff starts at 9:30 AM and ends at 10:30 AM. Do I need to go to STEM first?
- Answer: No. You do not need to go to STEM first but you need to return to STEM when your kickoff is over.
Scenario 2: My kickoff starts at 1:00 PM. Do I need to go to STEM first?
- Answer: Yes. You need to go to STEM first and then go to your kickoff.
Scenario 3: My kickoff ends at 1:00 PM. Do I need to return to STEM?
- Answer: Yes. You must return to STEM when your kickoff is over.
Scenario 4: My kickoff ends at 3:30 PM. Do I need to return to STEM?
- Answer: No. You may end your day at the kickoff location and return home.
Scenario 5: My kickoff ends at 12:30 PM but my parent cannot drive me back to STEM.
- Answer: Discuss this situation with Mr. Kranz prior to kickoff to find a reasonable accommodation (e.g., submitting a parent excuse authorizing an early departure and modifying your schedule to accomplish missed work).
As a good rule of thumb, add 30 minutes to whatever time is needed to travel to an offsite PBL event—it’s always better to be early than late!