Parent Teacher Association
The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) aims to benefit DIS students by providing an avenue for parents active involvement in the school community. Membership in the PTA is automatic for all parents and teachers at DIS and all families are encouraged to become involved in some way. Close cooperation and communication with DIS management by the group executive will ensure that the school's particular needs for assistance are properly communicated and met. A formal executive is elected consisting of co-ordinator, treasurer and secretary and meetings are held once a month, which all parents and staff are welcome to attend.
What does the PTA do?
Some ideas include:
- Provide a catering facility for all special school events such as sports carnivals, concerts both inside and outside of school hours. Creates a sense of community through conducting regular social activities for parents such as - picnics, sausage sizzles, movie nights.
- Provide healthy snacks and drinks, either at school or outside venues to warmly welcome DIS families old and new as well as teachers to the school community.
- Host new parent coffee mornings each term at local cafes with all parents encouraged to attend.
- Manage the class parent representative system to assist with class/home communications.
- Assist teachers with special class events
- Assist with whole school events such as sports days, ‘mother tongue day’ etc.
- Assist with class/school fundraising events.
- Assists with school productions.
- Management of a school uniform – procurement/shipping/sales.
- Organizes school fairs and fun days where students, friends, family and DIS staff can join in the fun at yard sale booths, public vendors, class activities, games and entertainment for everyone
Funds raised by the PTA will be shared between buying necessary items for DIS students as well as 12.5% being donated to charities which have been officially sanctioned between the PTA committee and DIS Management. Some ideas include:
- DIS Community Preschool (Fini Moris) – Staffing and ongoing costs
- Library book collection purchasing
- DIS Timorese Scholarship Fund
- Annual Giving Tree Contributions of Food and Hygiene products
What you can do with the PTA
Come along to any functions advertised. If you would like to volunteer for a specific activity or have a new idea that would benefit the school, please come along to a PTA meeting. If you have spare time on your hands, nominate for a committee position or to help out with event organisation. Please find the PTA's Minutes of their meetings here.