FIND CRITICISMS / LITERARY WORK
It is often helpful to find out what others have written about the literary work you are studying. Keep in mind that criticism has not been published on all literary works. It is easier to find criticism on famous authors than on more obscure writers. Individual short stories or poems can also be challenging.
Literary criticism comes in various forms.
We will be looking at criticisms published in Online Journals, which we will locate in the following online databases:
TIPS WHEN SEARCHING DATABASES
- Tip: When using any of these databases, keep in mind that your literary author would be considered the subject or topic of the article. The word author in these databases would refer to the person who wrote the article, rather than the literary author you are studying.
- Tip: To search for criticism on Virginia Woolf, for example, try this:
- 1) Type Virginia Woolf in the search box (or, type the name of the specific literary work)
- --Check off LITERATURE or LITERATURE CRITICISM in the left or right toolbar section under SUBJECT / CONTENT TYPES
- --Find scholarly work by selecting ACADEMIC JOURNALS in EBSCO's source type
- Tip: When searching at home, please check for usernames and log ins for the databases (cswlibrary / research)