Cultures of Thinking
The time given for thinking should be “the period of time that will most effectively assist nearly every student to complete the cognitive tasks needed in a particular situation (Ritchhart, 2015).
- I make time for students’ questions and contributions.
- I provide the “space” for students to extend, elaborate, or develop the ideas of others.
- I avoid disseminating an abundance of ideas without without providing the time to process them.
- I give students time to think and develop ideas before asking for contributions.
- I monitor the amount of time I talk so as not to dominate the classroom conversation.