"You're one of the only teachers that makes me feel smart. You encourage me to speak up and share even if my answer might be wrong.”
8th Grade Student
- I ensure that all students respect each other’s thinking in my classroom. Ideas may be critiqued or challenged, but people are not.
- I make it clear that mistakes are acceptable and encouraged within my classroom.
- Student are pushed to elaborate their responses, to reason, and to think beyond a simple answer or statement - for example, by using the “What makes you say that?” routine.
- I listen to students and show a genuine curiosity and interest in students’ thinking. It is clear that I value their thinking.
- I listen in on groups and allow them to act independently, rather than always inserting myself into the process.
Examples of Study Team Interactions (HS)