New Entrant Cohort Enrolment
What is it?
- all new entrants born before the mid-point of each term can start at the beginning of the term, or at the start of a later term before their 6th birthday.
- If their birthday falls in the second half of the term, they can enrol on the first day of the following term, or the start of a later term before their 6th birthday.
This will mean that we will only have four dates during the year where new entrants start in the classroom (currently, the classroom can have any number of students starting school throughout the term), and students won't be starting school one their birthdate, but the first day of term closest to their birth date.
What are the benefits?
Cohort entry is about helping children to settle better in school. There is evidence that starting school alongside other children helps children build relationships and supports a smoother entry to school life.
- We can then do a major induction for new students at the beginning of each term.
- There will be less disruption during the term for the classroom through new students starting (it means that there is always some form of induction taking place)
- All new students get a good introduction to the classroom when they start. This will give students a better start to their time at school, as it is more difficult to run a comprehensive induction mid term.
If you have any further questions please get in contact with me.
Key to this program is that if your child is starting school in a particular term, that they start on the first day of school.
If they miss the first few days, then the teacher will either have to repeat the program to the class again for your child, or your child will receive a shortened version that is integrated into classroom activities.