New entrant cohort information
What is it?
- all new entrants who turn 5 before the start of the term can start at the beginning of the term, or at a later mid term or start of term date before their 6th birthday.
- If their birthday falls after the start of term but before the mid term date, they can enrol on the mid term date, or at a later start of term or mid term date before their 6th birthday.
- children must have turned 5 before they can enrol in school
This will mean that we will only have eight dates during the year where new entrants start in the classroom. Students won't be starting school on their birthdate.
If your child has already started school at another school and move to Auroa, they will start straight away.
What are the benefits?
Cohort entry is about helping children to settle better in school. There is evidence that starting school alongside other children helps children build relationships and supports a smoother entry to school life.
- We can then do a major induction for new students at the beginning and mid of each term.
- There will be less disruption during the term for the classroom through new students starting (it means that there is always some form of induction taking place)
- All new students get a good introduction to the classroom when they start. This will give students a better start to their time at school.
- If they miss the first few days, then the teacher will either have to repeat the program to the class again for your child, or your child will receive a shortened version that is integrated into classroom activities.
If you have any further questions please get in contact with me.