Albany Senior High School Careers
Welcome to the Albany Senior High School Career and Transition page. We are here to help you navigate your Career development pathway. Come to the Careers Office any time to find information on a wide range of courses, or to make an appointment to see either Craig Dyason regarding your future plans, or Jo Hakaria for anything to do with Gateway. Check out the Events calendar tab for opportunities for you to get involved in.
Me mātau ki te whetū, i mua i te kōkiri o te haere . Before you set forth on a journey, be sure you know the stars
To discuss your interests, subject choices, talents and career aspirations, you need to make an appointment with Craig. Click on the book now logo to the left. The Career Office is located in Student Services, opposite 3A.
Please ensure that you are not missing any exams, assessments or important lessons when you make an appointment time.
Parents and caregivers are most welcome to attend. Please contact Craig Dyason on email@example.com or 451 9065 xtn 7220 if you have other queries or would like to make a booking outside of the times listed.
Career Development at Albany Senior High School
This year the emphasis will be on developing the 3 career management competencies.
These will occur through opportunities offered through the Careers Office and through Tutorials
Competencies that enable young people to understand themselves and the influences on them.
Strengths and areas for development
Developing Learning Power and Time Management skills
Competencies that enable young people to investigate opportunities in learning and work, and relate them to themselves.
Gateway/Impact Project help
Tertiary open days/visits
Competencies that enable young people to make and adjust their plans, to manage change and transition, and to take appropriate action.
Scholarship and fees talks
- One on one interviews for Year 13's and those transitioning out of school as a priority.
- One on one interviews for all other students by appointment.
- Tuesday Tutorial 'Drop In' appointments for general queries.
- Thursday Tutorial workshops and guest speakers covering pathway opportunities and tertiary requirements.
- Scholarships – workshops, access to ‘Generosity’ GivMe database via the school intranet and assistance with application forms and references.
- Pathways planning – via Tutorials, workshops and one on one.
- Assistance with option choices for the following year.
- Maori and Pacific Island Career information.
- Gateway – a work-based Impact Project for Year 12/13 students Semester One, Year 11/12/13 students Semester Two.
- Opportunities for students to attend “Student for a Day” and “Taster days” at tertiary institutes/organisations.
- Help with writing C.V.s and seeking part time work opportunities.
- Visits from liaison staff of tertiary institutes to help students with applications and course planning.
- Full and part-time job vacancies advertised in the department and online.
- Assistance with interview skills.
- Information on Gap year and exchange opportunities.
- Impact Project assistance.
- Accommodation information and references.
- Work readiness and employment skills.
- Bi-annual Careers Evening and Transition Evening (each alternate year).