001 - Observing the
What is weather and climate?
How is the weather measured?
- Rain Gauge
- Weather Vane
- Beaufort Scale
You will be using the words above throughout this lesson. Use the useful link below to help you to define them.
Activity One - How does the weather impact us?
It is important to have a look at how the weather impacts us to realise why weather, climate and the resultant changes is a key unit of inquiry. Answer the questions below on lined paper.
- Using the images below describe in your book how the weather may impact; what you wear, transport, sports and people's jobs.
- Remember Individuals and Societies work always needs a title and for you to write in full sentences!!
People often confuse what weather and climate actually are. To make sure you know the difference watch the youtube clip below and answer the following questions. Remember to write in full sentences using a blue or black ball point pen.
- Explain the difference between weather and climate. You can use the the link in the key terminology section to help you and the youtube clip below.
- Why does the weather vary depending on where you are?
Weather can be measured using very specific scientific instruments. We need to record the weather accurately to build up a picture of what the average conditions are each month. Once we know the averages we can compare the months each year to see if the climatic conditions are changing.
- Watch the clip and try and write a list of ways in which the weather is measured.
- Draw out the table below in your book. Remember to use a pencil and a ruler for the table.
- You will be given an envelope with weather to be measured words, the instruments used to measure weather and the units that are used to record the weather in. Match the weather, to the instrument, to the unit.
- Copy the correct answers in to the table in your book.
Now it is your turn to observe what the weather is like today and to describe how it has impacted your life today.
- Describe what the weather is like today and remember to also record the date and time of the lesson.
- How has the weather impacted what you have done today?