002 - Spread of Disease
Explain (AO2) how the geographic concepts of diffusion by relocation and by expansion apply to the spread of diseases.
Examine (AO3) the application of the concept of barriers in attempts to limit the spread of diseases.
Describe (A01) the factors that have enabled reduction in incidence of a disease.
Define the key terms using either your 'Geography Course Companion', the links below or a dictionary online. Definitions of the command terms can be seen on the posters in the classroom.
Activity One - Describe
- Watch the clip below and describe the pattern of disease.
- Discuss in small groups why you think this may be happening.
Activity Two - Watch
- Draw the table below on paper and fill in the columns using the clips below.
Activity Three - Discussion
Answer the questions below using the information you have recorded in the previous activity.
- What is a barrier?
- What barriers are there that might impede the spread of diseases? Think PHYSICAL and HUMAN.
Activity Four - Prevention
Watch the attached clip from the BBC to answer the question below - BBC Audio Slide
- How can the spread of disease be prevented?
- Describe the factors that have helped reduce the spread of SARS using the useful links below.