E-Assessment - IDU
It is a requirement of the MYP to complete an Interdisciplinary Unit (IDU) in each year of its course. In Year 11 it can get a little tricky to do this as students are able to choose a variety of subject packages and in other subjects they rotate around the discrete disciplines. To still make sure that we fulfil the MYP requirements we have chosen to trial the online IDU e-assessment.
IDU's help students to transfer skills and knowledge across disciplines and apply them to unfamiliar environments.
E-Assessment IDU - 2017
Students will explore the concept and history of maps as a way in which humans identify and interact with their surroundings.
Individuals and Societies
I&S - Time, place and space - How has cartography developed over time? What has influenced the designs?
Maths - Relationships
I&S - Perspective, culture, identity and scale - How do our cultural perspectives impact how we identify other places?
Maths - Measurement and space
I&S - Scientific and technological innovation - How has science and technology changed our perception of how the earth looks and is navigated?
Statement of Inquiry
Scientific and technological explorations and individual cultures have impacted our spatial perspectives of time, place and space.
Factual Questions: Remembering facts and topics
- How do we understand the world in which we live?
- How do we know where we are?
- How can we share our knowledge of where we are?
- What is cartography?
- How can culture impact cartography?
- What methods have individuals used for exploration?
Conceptual Questions: Analysing big ideas
- What are the different purposes that maps serve?
- Has exploration impacted our perception of the world or has our perception of the world impacted exploration?
Debatable Questions: Evaluating perspectives and developing theories
- Is it possible to accurately communicate 3-dimensional data in a 2-dimensional form?
- To what extent can maps ever be objective?
- To what extent has exploration benefitted the human race?
- To what extent can Google Earth be considered to be endangering global security?
IDU Assessment Criteria and Details
Length of Exam - 2 Hours and 5 minutes Reading Time
Date of Exam - Thursday 6th June PM 2019
Need to Bring - Your device and something to write with. What device do you have? Audit