Letter from the President
Welcome, from VCCA President Lisa Shifflett McDaniel
Welcome to the Virginia Community Colleges Association (VCCA). The VCCA is the longest serving professional development venue in the Virginia Community College System (VCCS). We accomplish this by providing a strong, unified voice in support of the community college mission, programs, and services to ensure student success.
In all 23 Virginia community colleges, our primary function is the same - to educate those who walk through our doors. Our membership is open to community college personnel, alumni, board members, and friends of the VCCS.
I became a member of VCCA in 2013 and have attended every conference since then. As an education professional entering the community college environment after spending 12 years at a four-year university, my passion was strengthened by VCCA’s professional development, resources, support and building relationships by networking with colleagues from the other 22 VCCS colleges.
As President, my goal is to spark that same passion, encouraging more members to join the VCCA and become inspired by their dedicated colleagues who work daily to assist our students towards success. Over this next year, I want to work on advertising and recruitment to ensure all VCCS employees are aware of the Association and our purpose to enrich community college education in Virginia primarily through professional growth and development activities by:
· Fostering a climate of professional service and growth.
· Providing a medium for exchange of information, issues, and opportunities.
· Encouraging the involvement of all interested individuals and groups in a cooperative effort to enhance the programs and services of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS).
· Encouraging a beneficial climate for excellence in the delivery and support of teaching and learning. Strive to maintain an environment of academic freedom characterized by a high level of professional responsibility and ethics.
· Serving in an advisory capacity, through the Executive Committee, to the Chancellor of the VCCS.
I encourage you to consider becoming a member of this vital organization! A VCCA membership allows you the opportunity to participate in professional development activities offered at our annual conference along with regional workshops offered through our individual commissions. Being a member also allows you access to our resources and connects you with colleagues within the VCCS for networking opportunities and friendships to be created.
If you have specific suggestions or questions about how the VCCA can better serve you and your college campus, please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.