Our September newsletter is quite busy! Please take a moment to read through it, especially if your interested in our upcoming Outdoor Lab field trip. It's incredibly important to read about our MANDATORY attendance week during October Count, all registered HSC families agreed to be present during this window as it provides funding for our program. Even if you've attended HSC for many years please take a moment to review the information as it's always good to have a refresher!
HSC's annual Talent Show is still taking submissions; be sure to check that out if your kiddo is interested in performing in this year's show! We also have a section this month regarding some important changes and updates to our school. As always don't forget to check out our Classrooms Highlights and Reminders sections as it contains important information from our teachers about classes as well as some helpful tips!
Important Dates & Upcoming Events
Aug 27th - Sept 7th - Talent Show Submissions accepted
Aug 31st - Final day for class changes
Sept 3rd - Labor Day NO SCHOOL
Sept 7th - Outdoor Lab Registration deadline
Sept 17th - Sept 21st - Talent Show Week
Sept 17th & 18th - WWA Hearing Screening
Sept 26th - Oct 10th - OCTOBER COUNT REQUIRED ATTENDANCE
We are so excited to have your sixth grader join us at HSC this year. We have partnered with the 6th graders at Woodrow Wilson as well as Id-Ra-Ha-Je to offer our Sixth grade students the opportunity to attend Mountain Lab School (Outdoor Lab)!
- General Information:
- We will attend October 1st through 3rd (3 days/2 nights)
- Deadline to sign up is September 7th!!!
- Transportation will not be provided, parents will drop off and pick up at IdRaHaJe
- The cost will be $150
- We will be participating in their district-approved-school program (this is a secular, not a religious program)
- We will have our district provided RN Audrey Klein available at the site
- We would like to set up a few social events for our 6th graders to get to know each other & would love for volunteers to help organize these events
- We will have space for parent volunteers
- The safety of your child is the number one priority at IdRaHaJe
- All safety equipment is checked regularly (climbing, rappelling, etc.)
- All IdRaHaJe staff are carefully chosen and highly trained (thoroughly vetted with background and fingerprint checks conducted)
- All chaperones are selected and vetted by the school/group
- Online Registration!!
- To help us take care of our guests, all Mountain Lab School participants must have a completed registration. This includes all students, teachers, parents and chaperones that are planning to attend for any portion of the Mountain Lab School trip.
- Simply to to www.idrahaje.org
- Click on “REGISTER/LOG IN”
- Food allergies/special diets
- Submitted during registration
- All facilities are nut free (peanuts, tree nuts, etc.)
- Proposed menus available upon request
- Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medicine/Medical treatment
- IdRaHaJe has staff that are CPR and First-Aid trained for emergencies, but does not provide any nursing or medical staff – The school/group is responsible for medical needs and securing authorization for, and administration of, all medications including prescriptions and Over-the-Counter medications
Were you unable to attend our informational meeting? No worries! We recorded it for you: Outdoor Lab Video
Not sure what to pack? IdRaHaJe has a packing list you can print and check off!
Outdoor Lab is NOT a requirement for our 6th graders, just an option. We are really excited about adding this to our program, please stop by after drop off or email Kelly (email@example.com) or Chelsea (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions!
This is the two week window when we report attendance to the state to receive funding. We love being able to provide your children with quality teachers, classes, and materials; the funding we receive during this window is the ONLY reason we are able to do that.
The October Count window begins on September 26th through October 10th. Student attendance is very important during this window, students may not miss more than one day during these 2 weeks.
If your HSC student does need to miss a day of school during this window, please email the director with the following information:
- Your child's full name
- Date of absence
- Reason for absence
- That you plan on having your child enrolled at/attend HSC for the rest of the 2017-2018 year (normal absences, illnesses, travel, etc. are implied)
- Your signature
- The director may require "proof" such as: Doctor's note, travel documents, etc.
Our annual HSC Talent show is quickly approaching! If your child is interested in participating in this year's talent show please take a minute to read through the talent show rules and how to submit an act for performances:
- Submissions for the talent show will be accepted starting August 27th (the google doc form will be turned on around 8 am) through Sept. 7th.
Link to the google doc: https://goo.gl/forms/DJDTjQramIiYWvQh1
- No late submissions will be taken
- Acts should be no more than 3 minutes (time your act at home if possible!)
- All acts MUST fill out the google doc form - it is the easiest way for Miss Hayley to stay organized
- Not all technology is available for the talent show (i.e. no microphones or projectors due to the difficulty of set-up/take-down, travel, and successful usage in the variety of spaces)
- If any props or costumes are necessary, students should be able to provide those from home
- Students may be asked to share their act with Miss Hayley prior to the performance to receive approval
- Be Creative! This is the best time for students to try out new things or share things they love to do with the whole school!
- Any questions or concerns can be directed to Miss Hayley: email@example.com
Performances will be September 17th through the 21st. Students will have a shortened class schedule during this week. Talent Show start times will be posted closer to the week of the show. Good luck, we can't wait to see what our talented kiddos have planned for this year!
Important HSC Updates
- We’ve made a small change to our attendance procedure. If your child is absent, please send an email with the reason to firstname.lastname@example.org , or leave a message on the attendance line 720-289-9230 ext. 1.
- Class Changes
- We have moved our final submission date for class changes to Friday August 31st. All class changes must be in by 3pm, we will not make any class changes after this time. If your emailing a request please be sure to put your child's name, the day they attend, and 'class change' in the subject line. Please remember that class changes take time and
- This year we are trying out a new system to help keep track of our students, their belongings, and schedules. Students are assigned a colored bucket based on their sixth period class and will put all their belongings (lunch box, backpack, coat, etc) in said bucket.
- Students also have an accompanying lanyard with their schedule and the color of their assigned bucket. These lanyards can be found in a clear envelope in front of their assigned buckets. Students are required to turn in lanyards at the end of each day when they pick up their stuff.
- Students are not required to wear their lanyards as long as they are able to remember their classes and bucket color. However, it it is encouraged that new or younger students wear their lanyard the first few weeks of classes!
- At arrival students will put their belongings in their assigned colored bucket. Students will then grab their lanyard, water-bottle, and first period snack and head off to class. If you are a Martial Arts, Ukulele, and Musical Theater student please drop off your belt, Ukulele, and script in your classrooms before heading to first period.
- As we know parents love to help get their kiddos settled in the morning here are the colors for each teacher/class:
- Ms. Elona (Sports) - Gold
- Ms. Holly (Sewing) - Red
- Ms. Alicia (Music) - Silver
- Ms. Hayley (Theater) - Light Blue/Teal
- Ms. Lynn (Art) - Orange
- Ms. Kim (Science) - Neon Green
- Ms. Heather (Tech) - Dark Green
- Ms. Nancy (Writing) - Pink
- Ms. Kelly (Cultures) - Gold
- We appreciate your patience as we take the time to make these changes, thank you for all your feedback as we develop this new system!
- If it is your child's birthday week have them come up to Ms. Danielle at the beginning of the day to receive a birthday sticker and a ticket for the prize box!
- Vision & Hearing Screening
- Woodrow Wilson Academy will be doing a vision and hearing screening September 17th and September 18th during the school day. HSC Families are invited to drop in and have their kids screened if they would like! If interested please check-in with Deb Scott at the front desk at Woodrow Wilson Academy.
Our first month back to school was quite busy! Students welcomed our new director, Ms. Chelsea, and our new science teacher, Ms. Kim! Our teachers went paddle-boating on Evergreen Lake for this year's team building activity! And over the summer we ran our second ever HSC Photo Contest and our winners were picked this month. Look left for the winners!
Classroom Highlights and Reminders
- Our new bucket/lanyard system helps us keep track of your children's belongings, however things do still get misplaced! Please be sure to label everything, water-bottles, backpacks, lunchboxes, jackets, etc. Please be advised that at the end of each semester whatever is left behind will be donated.
- Ms. Nancy would like to remind parents that the field for Young Ameritowne is Thursday April 11th.
- From those of you who attended last year you know that our Student's Page is still fairly new. We would love to hear feedback on what you would like to see on this page! Any suggestions please email Ms. Danielle at email@example.com with Student's Page in the subject line!
- Friendly reminder, the weather will be changing soon! We like to get kids outside as often as possible, so please be sure to send appropriate attire with your kiddo to school! You never know when a snow storm might come in on a 70 degree day :)
Stay Connected at HSC
· FAQ page
The link is delivered monthly to your inbox
· Calendar of events
· Classroom Newsletters
· Teacher Requests (usually recycled materials)
Pictures of what we're up to in classes
Upcoming contests with a chance to win some HSC gear
· Pictures of what we’re up to in our classes
· Reminders of important dates
· Funny kid quotes
· Interesting facts about the teachers
· Local events