The Home School Connection
April & May 2018
Happy April! Returning from Spring Break, the vibe around here is end-of-the-year-crazy! Since the end of the year comes so fast for us we compile our last two newsletters into one to make sure we don't miss anything. As this is our last newsletter for the 2017/2018 school year please take the time to read through ALL of it. If you have students in any performance classes (Kindergarten, Choir, Piano, Ukulele, Drama, the Musical, Martial Arts, etc.) we ask that you are mindful of absences as these last six weeks are crucial for practices and for the performance themselves.
Before Open House we have our Spring Musical. Musical Theater students and Ms. Hayley's tech kids have worked hard all year long to create this entirely student run show. Even if your kiddo is not performing in the play or aren't running things back stage we invite you to join us the week of April 30th to come and watch all the effort our kids have put into this! Information for purchasing Musical Theater tickets can be found below. Please watch the calendar closely as from here on out there are things happening every week at HSC.
April 3rd - Registration open to all families
April 12th - Young Ameritowne Field Trip
April 15th - Teacher Assistant applications due
April 16th - 20th - Group photos
April 20th - Friday Musical Theater Dress Rehearsal
April 23rd - 26th - Musical Theater Dress Rehearsal
April 30th - May 4th - The Musical - The Tale of Beauty and the Beast
May 7th - 11th - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 11th - Wildcats for the Wright Cause Walk
May 14th - 18th - Open House
May 14th - 18th - Last Day of HSC *Early Dismissal*
May 22nd - HSC Us in Action
Musical Theatre Updates
Tickets are on sale for the musical! Front row tickets are almost all sold out and the other seats are going quickly! Tickets are on-sale in the morning during arrival time and online. We do NOT sell tickets after school, so please keep that in mind as you plan when you're buying.
If you would like to volunteer for a job in exchange for a free ticket here is the online signup form: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0a4eaaa7283-musical
These jobs only require time prior to the beginning of the show. If you would like to know more specifics about job duties feel free to reach out! Once you've signed up, please touch base with me about getting your free ticket!
If you are unable to volunteer for the actual performance dates, but you're still interested in helping out one way you can do so is by donating things we need for props or set pieces on performance day.
Here is what we are searching for:
- A small circular table (cafe size is how Miss Alicia describes it) - we need something upon which to set the rose case which is integral to the storyline.
- No one has donated or mentioned having one yet, so we need one for each location
- A serving tray for our maid, Louise
- Needed for all locations
- A small stool for our chair character to carry
- This is only necessary in Westminster and Evergreen, it should be relatively light
- A key necklace.
- I would love an older looking key, even a skeleton key, but any key would work. And if its not on a necklace we can easily put it on a string.
And finally a quick note about costumes because I know students are getting extremely excited and curious. I have obtained all of the major costume needs and if students have tried something on, more than likely that is there costume. The majority of costumes are shared between locations and will be safety pin to help fit each student.
Students will be asked to provide their own shoes for their characters. So if they have a particular pair they think best fits their character they are more than welcome to start bringing those to class to practice in!
If your student is in the chorus the majority of their costume should be things they own. Due to the large number of students I'm costuming, I feel it is easiest if students in the chorus provide their own basic costume upon which costume pieces will be added for particular scenes/dance numbers. What I'm asking each chorus student to wear is all black. I'm open to students wearing skirts or dresses if they would like as long as they have black leggings or tights underneath.
I will be sending out a more detailed costume email in the future, but I figured I would put the basic information in here as well. As always, send me an email if you have any questions or concerns!
Young Ameritowne Field Trip
Young Ameritowne goes on their field trip on Thursday, April 12th! Students participating will need a sack lunch that day. Please leave backpacks and large bags at home; the businesses are small and will be crowded as we have a very large economy. If you are a parent of a YAT student and you have not filled out the Google form acknowledging dates, times and asking for an emergency contact number, you should have received that form again. If you haven't seen it, please email email@example.com with a working email address. Thanks to all of the parents who have volunteered over the past month - we appreciate you!!
Open House, Early Release, and T-Shirts!
Open House is only six weeks away, make sure if your child is in performances that they are present these last six weeks as it is crucial practice time for our teachers and students. Our Open House every year ends with a one hour early release so please make sure you or an approved party is here to pick up your kid(s)!
Last Day of School, one hour early dismissal (late policy* will begin 1 hour early as well) & Indoor pickup
*Late Policy - reminder: Children who are left at the program 20 minutes past dismissal will be charged $1.00 per minute, per child. At this time, we will also begin calling all emergency contacts we have on file. If we cannot reach any contacts and the child is still at the program after an additional 20 minutes (40 minutes past dismissal) the authorities/social services may be notified.
Just a reminder if you ordered a T-Shirt for your student(s) they must be present on the Last Day of School to receive their shirt. We will not allow other students or parents to pick up shirts for you. If you are not planning to be there please be aware you are choosing to leave your shirt behind.
Lost and Found
Please check lost and found before leaving for the summer. Any items left behind will be donated to Arc Thrift Store!
Wildcats for the Wright Cause Walk
I want to take a moment to tell you about a cause that is so dear to my heart – the Wildcats for the Wright Cause. In 2010/2011, Woodrow Wilson and HSC were hit hard by cancer. We were all devastated and feeling like we didn’t know what to do. Out of that feeling, the Wright Cause was born. Each year we walk to raise money to support WWA (HSC) community members who are affected by cancer. Specific to HSC, we have helped several families and a few staff members. I encourage you to walk with me, Jason, Charli, & Berti on May 11th at 3:30 to raise money to continue to be able to provide support to our families. If you can’t walk, I encourage you to consider donating directly. More information can be found at http://thewrightcause.com/
Teacher Appreciation Week
Teacher Appreciation day is Tuesday May 8th this year! Since our program is comprised of different students each day we like to celebrate our fabulous teachers all week long! However, we need your help in order to do this. Last year we did a "duty free" lunch/recess and we would like the option to do it again! We would need parent volunteers willing to cover lunch and recess on your student's HSC day during that week. If interested in volunteering please email Ms. Bobbi.
We love working with your children so much and truthfully that is the ONLY gift that we need or want. However, we know many of you would like to do something extra for the teachers around this time of year. Ms. Bobbi has created this to help you if interested in purchasing gifts for teachers!
Again WE DO NOT EXPECT anything from you so please, please, please do not feel obligated to do so. Working with your children will always be enough for us, and outside our lunch/recess volunteers we are not looking for anything nor do we expect anything!
7th Grade volunteer Teacher’s Assistant
For the last several years, we have had students return as volunteers during their 7th grade year. If your graduating 6th grader is interested, please have them take a moment to read the Job Description and complete the application (link in description) and return to me by April 15.
Science in Open House
Our wonderful Ms. Lauryn has figured out a way to incorporate science into Open House! Test that Hypothesis will be participating in Open House by conducting quick 5 minute experiments for kids and parents to see! If your kid is in any Test that Hypothesis class throughout the week be sure to come to Open House to see them perform cool experiments! Ms. Lauryn will be sending home more details soon!
Summer Instagram Contest
Over summer break we will be running our second HSC Instagram Contest! We will ask that parents post a picture of their HSC students on Instagram with the hashtag #MyHSCSummer. Pictures can be of anything that embodies your summer experience: playing in the backyard with siblings, a family photo on vacation, or a visit to the local pool! We will randomly select two winners who will receive a special HSC water bottle during Back to School Week. Unlike our last contest we are encouraging MULTIPLE entries to increase your chances of winning! The contest will officially begin June 1st and run until August 5th. We will post more details closer to the start date!
Upcoming Workshops, Festivals, Classes, and Summer Camps!
- Innovative Experiences presents Home School 3D Printing and Design Camp
- Ages: 10-14
- When: Monday Apr. 23,2018- Weds. Apr. 25, 2018
- Time: 9a.m.-3p.m.
- Where: Gizmo Dojo-7000 W 117th Ave, upstairs unit, Broomfield, CO.
- Cost: $265. 15% discount for every sibling who enrolls after the first. Promo: SIBLING
- Full Circle Martial Arts Spring Tournament
- Saturday April 21st
- Dance Arts Studio, 555 Burbank St., Unit N, Broomfield.
- There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place medals given in each category
- Opening ceremony and Demo Team Performance starts at 9:30am.
- Competition categories start at 9:40am and run to 1pm.
- Martial Arts summer camp
- ( M- F day camp) 9am-4pm July 23-27, ages 6-11 and Teen Leadership camp for ages 12-17.
- www.fcmacolorado.com Or contact Ms Paige at 303-877-9271
- Homeschool Art Classes at the Sheridan Recreation Center
- Summer Art Camps 2018 Sheridan Recreation Center
- Art Around the World- June 11-14- Monday-Thursday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- Splash Into Art!- June 5- Tuesday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- EcoArt Mini Camp- June 20-21- Wednesday-Thursday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- Express Yourself!- June 26- Tuesday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- Beetles, Bugs & Birds Mini Camp- July 9-10- Monday-Tuesday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- Art & Stories Mini Camp- July 24-25- Tuesday- Wednesday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- Out of This World Art- July 31- Tuesday- 1-4 PM- Ages 6-12
- For More information and Registration is available at https://www.ssprd.org/Catalog. South Suburban Parks and Recreation
- For additional information contact Stephanie Schwemm- S_Schwemm@yahoo.com
Message From Ms. Bobbi
If you submitted your class selection form as well as all of the other information, you should have received a confirmation for your child to attend next year along with their 2018/2019 class schedule. Wednesday families, you seemed to get the brunt of the mistakes so please accept my apologies for multiple emails, some with incomplete schedules, some with “oops, I made a mistake” some with “oops, I made a mistake in that I didn’t actually make the first mistake…” etc… you were all so patient with me and I thank you so much for that!
In March we saw the weather getting nicer and our classrooms in full swing as we approached the mid-semester mark. HSC went to STEAM Fest, Ms. Lauryn's classes did some cool and messy experiments, and one of our own HSC students took first place in the Woodrow Wilson Academy Science Fair!
Classroom Highlights and Reminders
- Ms. Bobbi will be bringing around the Scholastics Board the first week of April. This will be the last time this year that the Scholastics Board will be available to purchase from. As always please get your orders in before the 15th.
- Ms Kelly would like foreign language students to know they will be starting end of the semester quizzes after spring break! These quizzes are optional but if children are interested it's usually very helpful if they spend time outside of class studying. Ms. Kelly emailed the vocabulary list for the semester out to families several weeks ago but if you need another one please let her know. Students also completed their flip book dictionaries, which is a great tool for at-home study! We are very impressed with how hard our students have worked this semester and I can't wait to see what they achieve by the end of the year!
- Ms. Hayley would like to remind Musical Theater and Fractured Fairy Tale students to keep memorizing lines at home!
- If you need any thoughts on tips for memorizing please contact Ms. Hayley. She's got plenty of tips and tricks that may prove useful. If you're student has lost their script, please email her and she will be happy to send you another copy to print out.
- She will also be reaching out in the future with little props we will need for the final performance on Open House day (Fractured Fairy Tales) - so keep an eye out for that email!
- The musical is only four weeks away! Open house is in six weeks!
- Ms. Nancy would like to remind YAT families that the field trip for YAT is April 12th.
- Ms. Paige wants families to know that Martial Art students are being promoted and have been working hard for the upcoming tournament on April 21st at Full Circle Martial Arts!
- Did you know we have a student's page? The student's page has lots of great info and links to help you get a sense of what your kiddo is learning in their classrooms. It has a lot of information from Ms. Holly's recipes to our Artist of the Week! Navigate to the top of this page and check it out for yourself!
- Please remember to talk to your child about making sure to grab all their stuff (jackets, boots, lunchboxes) at the end of the day. Also putting labels on their items doesn’t hurt, it makes it much easier for us teachers to find the original owner! Any items left behind on the last day of HSC will be donated to Arc Thrift Store.
In order to better promote and represent our program we have decided to make a Day in the Life of HSC video that will be featured on our website! Over the next several weeks our Educational Assistant, Ms. Danielle, will be in classrooms filming students doing everyday activities. As per the family form we will not feature any children who's parents have opted out of sharing their photos, they will be edited out of videos and deleted. If you have any questions/concerns please email Ms. Bobbi.
Scholastic Book Club orders will be placed on the 15th of each month. That still gives you 2 weeks to order. There will be a display board available at each location during the first week of each month, feel free to take the fliers you need when you drop off in the morning.
If you are new, it is easy. Just log into scholastics at https://orders.scholastic.com/LML4W
You can register each of your children under their specific grade level. You can order books on any grade level you choose. Our school code is: LML4W
Enjoy your reading!
Kiya Wycoff (HSC Parent)
Stay Connected at HSC
· FAQ page
The link is delivered monthly to your inbox
· Calendar of events
· Classroom Newsletters
· Teacher Requests (usually recycled materials)
Pictures of what we're up to in classes
Upcoming contests with a chance to win some HSC gear
· Pictures of what we’re up to in our classes
· Reminders of important dates
· Funny kid quotes
· Interesting facts about the teachers
· Local events