The Home School Connection
Please take a moment to read through our monthly newsletter. Our newsletter is our number one source of communication to families, to find out about upcoming events at HSC it is recommended that you read it in it's entirety. Thank you!
Important Dates & Upcoming Events
May 1st - May 30th - HSC Campus(s) CLOSED
May 5th - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 8th - Last Day of HSC Classes
May 13th, 14th, & 15th - Drive-Thru Open House
May 30th - July 20th - HSC Out of Office/Closed for Summer
Teacher Appreciation Day
Teacher Appreciation day is coming up! We've been getting a lot of requests from parents asking what they should do during this strange time. For students looking to tell their teacher thank you for all that they do, we are recommending that they make an E-Card or a video that the teacher can appreciate safely from their home!
Click HERE for a list of Staff emails.
We love working with your children so much and truthfully, that is the ONLY gift that we ever need or want. So please do not feel obligated to do anything, we miss you all!
Drive-Thru Open House & Graduation Celebration
We were very sadden to have to cancel our Spring Open House because of COVID-19. However, we don't want to leave for summer just yet without one more end of the year (social distancing) celebration...
Welcome to our Drive-Thru Open House!
Decorate Your Car!
- We missed our HSC spirit weeks this year, but that doesn't mean we can't still celebrate being an HSC student! Come to to our Drive-Thru Open House with your car decorated in style!
- Decorations can be as much, or as little as you want! They can be themed around HSC, one of our Spirit Weeks, or maybe a reinvention of your Trunk or Treat theme? Whatever you think is fun, the sky is the limit!
Pick up Medications, Projects, and Lost & Found!
- Have medications to pick up? Want to finish your quilt over the summer? Or are you still missing that one jacket??? No worries, we will have everything ready in paper bags to put into your trunk as you drive through and wave to your favorite teachers!
- Please Review our Drive-Thru Open House Maps below for more instructions.
Graduation Photo Booth:
- Kindergartners and 6th graders (who are not repeating next year) are invited to decorate their car and come take a photo, memorializing their first or last year with us at HSC!
- We will have a mini photo shoot set up for graduation students to come take a picture with Ms. Chelsea and/or Ms. Jamie along with a graduation banner and balloons.
- Please review our Drive-Thru Open House Maps below for more instructions.
Event Times & Dates
- WESTMINSTER FAMILIES
- May 13th, 2020 at Family in Christ Church
- 12:30pm - 1:45pm Tuesday Families "Open House"
- 2:00pm - 3:15pm Wednesday Families "Open House"
- Click HERE to see our Westminster Drive-Thru Open House map
- EVERGREEN FAMILIES
- May 14th, 2020 at Aspen Ridge Church
- 1pm - 2:15pm Thursday Families "Open House"
- Click HERE to see our Evergreen Drive-Thru Open House map
- LAKEWOOD FAMILIES
- May 15th, 2020 at Family in Christ Church
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm Monday Families "Open House"
- 1:45pm - 2:45pm Friday Families "Open House"
- Click HERE to see our Lakewood Drive-Thru Open House map
Click HERE to RSVP to help us better prepare for our event. Hope to see you there!
In consideration of staff and families that have parties at risk for COVID-19, we ask that all staff, parents, and students wear Personal Protective Equipment (masks and gloves, if handling any items) and remain in their car during the entirety of this event. Thank you!
Testing & Evaluations
We've had a lot of inquiry regarding testing and evaluations. We've heard things on both ends of the spectrum but have not received a definitive answer from the district. This is what it states on the Department of Education Home School website regarding COVID-19:
The requirement that children in home-based education be evaluated in grades 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 (22-33-104.5(3)(f), C.R.S.) was not addressed by the Governor's Executive Order, which was very specific to the state's obligation to administer assessments under 22-7-1006.3. If parents or adult relatives running a nonpublic home-based education program can meet the requirements of 22-33-104.5(3)(f) without violating state or local health orders related to public gatherings, they should.
For more information about COVID-19 and homeschooling please visit https://www.cde.state.co.us/choice/homeschool
If you are part of an umbrella school, student testing for the year may have been waived. Please check with your school for more details.
If you have already completed testing or evaluations, you can send your test scores via mail to:
HOME-BASED EDUCATION OFFICE
c/o Mount View Youth Services Center
7862 W. Mansfield Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80235
Or scan and email them to:
Lisa Nasstrom (Lisa.Nasstrom@jeffco.k12.co.us)
JEFFERSON COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
HOME BASED EDUCATION
Resources for Testing & Evaluations:
Kim Almas - Former HSC parent and licensed teacher
The California Achievement Test - Recommended by HSC families
2020-21 Enrollment is open! Enrollment for current and new families has already begun. If we have not heard from you about returning next year or you have not filled out the Class Selection form, we cannot guarantee your spot for next year.
Please reach out ASAP to email@example.com with any questions.
HSC Facebook Group
While we are all cooped up inside during this time it's important that we stay in touch with one another. Joining the HSC Facebook Group is one of the many ways that helps our community stayed connected, and is also a great way to find alternative resources for your at home learning.
Here is the link and step by step instructions on how to join our group:
1) Visit our Homeschool Connection Group via Facebook (you must have a Facebook account in order to join)
2) Select + Join Group, located below the cover photo.
3) You'll be prompted to answer a question about which day/location your student attends. Please be sure to answer this question as it helps us keep our community private.
Our page is really active right now! Please keep sharing pictures and videos of your students working on HSC activities at home.
Hello Homeschool Connection Parents,
Here is a reminder that you can still order Scholastic books and now that we are all stuck inside, they can be delivered right to your own front door! You no longer have to wait for 'your HSC day' to arrive to get your books. You can order at any time! Orders over $25.00 get free shipping right to your home. Each week there is a different $1.00 book available, so be sure to check that out. There are many book, craft, and activity ideas you can look through on the site as well as homeschooling resources.
Order today and slow the boredom!!!
Go to Book Club
Our class code is: LML4W
Any questions can be directed to Kiya Wycoff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Our April Highlight is dedicated to our Musical Theater students and Teachers! This year we had to cancel our Spring Musical due to the Stay at Home order. This was not only devastating to our staff who were eager to see this year's production of Snow White, but mostly to our students who worked incredibly hard to learn their lines and create all the props for the show.
But even in trying times we must push forward, and that's EXACTLY what our students and teachers did. Several ZOOM meetings and hours of video editing later we have a shortened rendition of our musical!
Every year, Ms. Hayley and Ms. Alicia both contribute what seems to be an insurmountable amount of work into our musical. Five different casts, with less than 30 rehearsals under their belt these students and teachers really give the professionals a run for their money!
We are proud of our students and our HSC community for continuing to band together and put on a great show, regardless of where their stage is!
Stay Connected at HSC
The link is delivered monthly to your inbox
· Calendar of events
· Classroom Newsletters
· Teacher Requests (usually recycled materials)
Pictures of what we're up to in classes
Upcoming contests with a chance to win some HSC gear
· Pictures of what we’re up to in our classes
· Reminders of important dates
· Funny kid quotes
· Interesting facts about the teachers
· Local events